Are DRONES essential in learning process?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
An Draighean
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Are DRONES essential in learning process?

Post by An Draighean »

m coulter wrote:I wonder how many people took up the pipes as a direct result of watching Davey Spillane playing on the Point Theatre recording? 22 years ago now..
For me, it was hearing Liam O'Flynn with Planxty. I wasn't aware of Mr. Spillane until after taking up the pipes. Generation gap, I suppose.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

You know what actually, really got me interested in pipering? It was our very own tommykleen himself. Blame him. I'm sure he does already. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
m coulter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by m coulter »

Whatever form the initial spark of interest may be is largely irrelevant. Whether it's Spillane or Ennis, it's where you go from there that is important.. therapy in quite a few cases :)
tommykleen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Nanohedron wrote:You know what actually, really got me interested in pipering? It was our very own tommykleen himself. Blame him. I'm sure he does already. :wink:
...mea culpa-ble.

For many North American pipers (inc. me) who got hooked in the mid-70s, the vector was the Nonesuch release of "Irish Pipe Music" by Finbar/Eddie Furey.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.