Need recommendations for a half set as a gift

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
cgreene789
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm here to hopefully find a set of pipes for my father. Ideally, i'll find them before christmas so that I can give them to him as a present.

Re: Need recommendations for a half set as a gift

Post by cgreene789 »

What is everyone's opinion on Josh Bailey or Chris Coe practice sets?
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

cgreene789 wrote:What is everyone's opinion on Josh Bailey or Chris Coe practice sets?
Never heard of either.

Where are they located, in relation to your dad? It would be well if either were somewhat close to him.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Deleted duplicate post. Forum froze on me this morning, and when it came back there were multiple copies of my last post.
Last edited by An Draighean on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Deleted duplicate post.
Last edited by An Draighean on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Deleted duplicate post.
Last edited by An Draighean on Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

cgreene789 wrote:What is everyone's opinion on Josh Bailey or Chris Coe practice sets?
Josh Bailey is a new maker, and you can find him on FB. His instruments look quality, but I haven't read any feedback on them yet. I've read good comments on Chris Coe, though I haven't seen his name as often either, you can find him on FB as well.

https://www.facebook.com/joshbaileypipes/
https://www.facebook.com/www.coeuilleannpipes.co.uk/

EDIT: If you're considering a practice set instead of a 1/2 set, there's also a David Daye chanter on ebay. The seller appears to be new, but Daye chanters usually get good feedback, and the bag/bellows in this auction are Kelleher, which also get good reviews.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Uilleann-Pract ... SwnCFaItzz
Life is good.
Aldwyn
Tell us something.: I am haunted by Uilleann Pipes. Been so for years. I have an Irish background and have played Trad on guitar in a duet long ago. Just started on the UPs in Feb of 2017!

Post by Aldwyn »

If a practice set is a possibility, you may want to check with Kirk Lynch. Earlier in the year, he had made a few extra chanters/bellows, and may still have some.
Kirk Lynch half set
Guitars, Ukes, whistles, misc percussion
Pocket lint
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

If you're in the US and considering a practice set, you might check with Bruce Childress. He often has practice sets available for immediate shipment.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Have you seen this half set by Desi Seery? It's in Ireland:
https://www.donedeal.ie/brassandwind-fo ... t/17485867
jon1908

Post by jon1908 »

I’ve had a Coe chanter for 6 years. I find it easy to play, in tune and has a nice tone. Chris’s work is superb and his approach to making is one of a true craftsman. His more recent chanters are even better.
cgreene789
Tell us something.: I'm here to hopefully find a set of pipes for my father. Ideally, i'll find them before christmas so that I can give them to him as a present.

Post by cgreene789 »

An Draighean: My family lives in West Virginia so few Uilleann pipe makers are anywhere near us. But with that said, I also don't know where Josh Bailey or Chris Coe are located, so I could quite easily be incorrect.

Steve: Bruce Childress's pipes look to be of excellent quality, and his "special offer" I saw when I followed your link looks really, really appealing. That's definitely a contender here, but I didn't see where he had any ready for sale/shipment. If I don't find another through eBay, Uilleann Obsession forum, or on here, I may go that route and just wait it out.

Jon1908: I see a Chris Coe practice set for sale here on the C&F Forum; would you recommend getting one of his? I am hopeful that regardless of the fingering style my father chooses to play, the the actual fingering will be consistent among any chanter I end up getting him. Is this true?

I really appreciate how helpful everyone has been throughout my incessant questioning, because you have all been very helpful in helping me close in on what I'm looking for for my dad.

-Colin
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

cgreene789 wrote:Steve: Bruce Childress's pipes look to be of excellent quality, and his "special offer" I saw when I followed your link looks really, really appealing. That's definitely a contender here, but I didn't see where he had any ready for sale/shipment. If I don't find another through eBay, Uilleann Obsession forum, or on here, I may go that route and just wait it out.
If interested, it might be good to contact Bruce directly on the chance that his web site isn't as up to date as his inventory. I'm guessing most pipe-makers would rather make pipes than update web sites....

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
fred smits

Post by fred smits »

[/quote]
I don't think Pat Sky is either. Elsewhere, a few weeks ago, I saw a campaign trying to raise funds to cover his health insurance costs. See [url=https://www.youcaring.com/patricksky-1004533/url]here[/url]

[edit] Hmm. I seem to be unable to properly hot link the site /quote]

I did a search on "patrick{space}sky" on that website and got
[url=https://www.youcaring.com/search/go?w=patrick%20sky/url]this[/url]
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I did a search on "patrick{space}sky" on that website
hehe, you're even worse at this than I was there.

Anyway, I had the link alright but somehow failed at the BBcode putting the link in my post, it kept putting the /url] bit at the end of the link and thus failing to find the page.

Until a few weeks ago I used a Firefox add-on called BBcodeXtra for all that sort of stuff, which was a handy way of doing things. Unfortunately it is not compatible with the latest version of Firefox and has not been updated. I get the odd few glitches putting those things in since it went down.
My brain hurts

s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Highlight the text you want to serve as the link, and hit the URL button, above. You'll get:

Code: Select all

[url]highlit text[/url]
Copy the URL you want to link to*, add an equals sign inside the first tag, before the closing bracket ([url > [url=) and then paste in your link, so it reads:

[url=http:etc]link text[/url]
You have to type the equals sign manually, but that's all there is to it. You don't need an ap to handle this for you.

The "http:etc" part is of course variable, standing in for whatever URL you have in mind.

*You probably know this, but just to be complete, I mean copying whatever's in the address bar above on the web page you want to link to. That's the page's URL. Note that many browsers (annoyingly) hide most of the URL until you click the cursor into the address bar.

For instance, this page's URL is:

http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=105820&p=1195882#p1195882
but my browser shows me only:

forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewtopic.php
Hiding this sh!t just makes it harder for people to understand their computers. I once looked like a technical genius because one boss had set her computer to hide file extensions. She couldn't understand why when she double clicked on file name it didn't open. I renamed it file name.doc, and all was well. She still doesn't know what happened.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis