Concealed/Open Carry Options (For Eb Sessions)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
bigsciota
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Concealed/Open Carry Options (For Eb Sessions)

Post by bigsciota »

Every so often, I find myself at an Eb session without an Eb instrument. It's not terribly often, but it happens enough that I'm thinking of getting an Eb instrument. Now, because it's not a huge priority, I'm not looking to spend a bunch of money, but I'd also like to have something that actually plays nicely. My current Eb Generation is OK in that regard, but I'd ideally like something better.

My first instinct is to get an Eb Killarney whistle. I like my Killarney D, and it fits in the pistol case that I carry my flute in, so it's not extra burden to bring it along. But I figure this also could be an opportunity to try something else out. I hear good things about M&E, who make a very reasonably priced Eb flute, so perhaps that's an option. Or there are all these high-pitch antique flutes out there that I could possibly try to repurpose (I hear that's a thing?).

My preference is a flute, rather than a whistle, but I'm open to suggestions for either. Any makers doing particularly nice work in Eb without a big price tag? Any tips for finding a good antique that would work? The Killarney-M&E range is probably the price I'm looking at. If you have something you're interested in letting go of, let me know (I'm in the US)!
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Concealed/Open Carry Options (For Eb Sessions)

Post by kkrell »

Obviously, a Killarney Eb whistle is your best choice, pricewise.

The M&E Eb polymer flute is a decent deal (and includes rings & slide) at about USD $325, plus shipping & any duty assessed.

In the U.S. Dave Copley has Eb flutes in Delrin, no separate slide, $360 w/out rings, $440 with. They're attractive flutes, surface finished to look like wood, rather than shiny polymer.
http://copleyflutes.com/catalog.html

I have a used Copley Eb with rings, 3-piece, with a soft roll, for the price of new w/o rings, including U.S. shipping. Mine has the standard oval/elliptical embouchure, not the modern Boehm squared ellipse. PM if interested.

Kevin Krell
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-gUN9mYrtFE

This might fit the bill. Cheap and cheerful.
Looking for 120 quid plus postage.
thaneydesign

Post by thaneydesign »

bigsciota wrote:(I'm in the US)!
Such could likely be deduced from your subject line (which nearly caused Mountain Dew to go through my nose). I sometimes forget that this isn't a "thing" in most of the rest of the "developed" world.

Gosh, what's the right word for that? If "Developing Nations" is the PC term for third-world countries, then are first world countries better referred to as "Undeveloping Nations"?

If a whistle is still a consideration and you like your Killarney (I love mine), check out Chris Wall's whistles... haven't gotten my hands on one (yet... soon soon) but the tone sounds like the wooden whistle equivalent of the Killarney, and he (and I think others) write that they play up in the second octave with great ease, which is another thing I love about my Killarney. Also you truly can't beat the price (which is considerably lower than the Killarney), so even if an Eb flute is really what you're after, these almost seem too good an investment to pass up.
(sound clip)

As far as flutes, I'm curious as to what you find. Copley makes some nice instruments and I believe lists an Eb in his catalog, including some that are near/in your price range. I've gotten to try some of his flutes and they and their maker all lovely to deal with. For me, having something that's somewhat "abuseable" (like delrin) as a second flute would be nice... except his delrin flutes look so lovely (and so wood-like) I think I'd have trouble telling myself, "Okay, this is REALLY okay to play outside/leave out together/etc."
awildman

Post by awildman »

Dave C uses handgun cases for his flutes. There you go.
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

Yeah, I use a pistol case as well. $10 at Walmart, hard plastic and soft foam that is as good or better at protecting the flute than any case I've seen. A little bulkier than the nice wooden cases, but waterproof, and a hell of a lot less expensive.

Thanks for the offers in the thread, I think I'm leaning more towards the Killarney whistle but I'll keep those in mind. Too many flutes to buy and only so much time to sit and play them!