Anyone interested in selling?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dunnp
antispam: No

Anyone interested in selling?

Post by dunnp »

I have a small list of flutes I’ve been wanting to try.
A Solen Leseof in Boxwood. (Or possibly Mopane)
A Martin Doyle in Boxwood
A Sam Murray in Boxwood
Casey Burns folk flute in boxwood
American antique maker boxwood flute maybe four key but must have decent tuning for sessions.
Just sold a set of pipes and am clearing out some flutes I don’t play often so thought I’d make a wee list of things I might be interested in at the moment.
All the best,
Patrick
dunnp

Re: Anyone interested in selling?

Post by dunnp »

Think I’m sorted.
eilam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eilam »

nice ! what maker?
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Hi Eliam,
It is a beautiful flute by Solen Leseouf . Just getting to know it. Very easy to play but not uninteresting like some easy to play flutes.
Like any flute I'll have to assess after the honeymoon period but I'm delighted so far. Easily on par with the similar flutes I owned from Noy and Olwell in terms of playability and workman (or woman) ship.
maestrosid
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by maestrosid »

Beautiful! I hope you will post some samples once you get settled in. I have an Eb mopane from her that is a jewel. Waiting eagerly on a six key and hoping it's as much a joy. It will be in mopane, as well, since blackwood is such an issue with CITES.
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

maestrosid wrote:Beautiful! I hope you will post some samples once you get settled in. I have an Eb mopane from her that is a jewel. Waiting eagerly on a six key and hoping it's as much a joy. It will be in mopane, as well, since blackwood is such an issue with CITES.
Please also share about your 6 key after you receive it.
What are the wait times for flutes from Solen?
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

I enjoy my Solen Lesouef very much. I think people would call it a medium-holed Rudall style flute. It was my starter flute 18 months ago, and I'm thrilled with my progress. In my opinion it has a warm tonal quality (rather than bright). The low D is nice and solid.... well, it is finally nice-and-solid for me!

Email Solen about wait times. She has been running about 6 months for keyless and 18 months for keyed. I found her very professional and easy to work with.

If you want something special, she will do attractive touches - ask her about it. Something as sweet and simple as the inlay at the top of the head.

Personally, I would choose blackwood with an Eb key if I was doing it again (not sure how she deals with CITES). I love the brown color of Mopane, but I find that it shrinks slightly depending on humidity, and I'm in a very dry climate. Also, blackwood has a finer-grain or pore structure. These aren't big issues.

Eb key because that is the one note that is so difficult to hit. Half-hole or cross-finger works reasonably for the other accidentals.

But, also because if you ever go to a keyed flute, it would be beneficial if your little finger was already in shape.
maestrosid

Post by maestrosid »

I'll post when my keyed flute arrives. My Eb mopane has darkened from a light reddish brown to a muted rich brown. Solen added a mother of pearl end cap at my request. It's the only Eb I have played, so it makes comparisons difficult. It is very light in the hand, Rudall feeling with a smaller bore and finger holes. It is very responsive, capable of a range of tones. It's happy being played softly, but stands up well to being pushed and suporting a strong, reedy tone. I am an intermediate player on my best days, and it's certainly a better flute than my playing merits. It makes me work to improve.
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

tstermitz, thanks for sharing about your Solen flute. It sounds like a great flute. I have an odd interest in keeping track of who is making flutes and their lead times. I myself am currently expecting to receive a 6-key mopane Rudall flute from Terry McGee within the next month or two.

maestrosid, yours also sounds like a great flute. Thanks for sharing. I'm probably at a similar playing level as you, "intermediate on my best days".

I think I'll be set for a good while once I receive my Terry McGee flute, but it is good for me to know about the positive feedback regarding Solen's flutes. Prior to this forum-topic, I hadn't actually heard of her before. So it is good to hear about another maker and hear good things about her and her flutes.
Wesley Byrne
Tell us something.: I am a Bodrhan/Flute player I would like to get know more about sessions and interested in selling some instruments that I have

Post by Wesley Byrne »

I have a Martin Doyle African Blackwood Flute with a tying slide if your interested :)
wolvy

Post by wolvy »

eilam wrote:nice ! what maker?

Eilam. It is good to see your post here. Did you survive the fire ok?

For those who don’t know, the Thomas fire came very close to Eilam’s home. This is the 2nd largest fire in the history of California. Over a thousand structures lost. 274k acres burned (so far).
The flames came to within 1/2 mile of my house in Carpinteria. Eilam experienced something similar in Ojai. On top of all of this, we had to madly keep our flutes humidified. Most days, the humidity was around 5% Most of the fire is out now. The fire fighters are amazing.

PS: Eilam sold me a Martin Doyle keyless flute the was a dream to play. Very lovely.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Hope Eliam and all others here on chiff are well in this holiday season.

I hate to post a clip of a flute I’m just getting to know but here is a lovely tune
Christmas Day in the Morning.
Maybe I’ve had too much eggnog but you get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W30odxRyLCk