Fife question: plastic soon, or wood much later?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Dan A.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Fife question: plastic soon, or wood much later?

Post by Dan A. »

Now that I can play a couple of tunes on my tin whistle, I am contemplating the purchase of a fife. This is just an idea at this point, as purchasing another whistle is of higher priority. I am curious, though, as to whether a plastic fife would suffice or I would be better off waiting until I could purchase a wood fife.

I currently live in a 91-year-old house that requires seemingly constant repair and is located in an area that can get rather humid (so I would have to save up for a really good wooden fife and learn to take proper care of it). However, as I am not looking for an instrument to travel with or take on camping excursions, a quality wooden fife might be worth saving up for.

So, should I pick up a plastic fife or wait until I can justify the purchase of a wooden one? And if the latter is the way to go, what wood will give the best compromise between sound quality and durability?
jim stone

Re: Fife question: plastic soon, or wood much later?

Post by jim stone »

I think the money involved is not prohibitive to most people.
I believe you can get a plastic fife from Jem the Flute, who is a member.
Humidity, unless it is truly intense, is not an enemy of flutes/fifes,
which are more in danger from dryness. You might get mold, but
I think you would have to be living in a near swamp. Of course mold
would be no problem with a plastic fife. My own prejudice is in favor
of wood, I like the acoustics, but the flooter is the chief determinant
of sound quality, so you might as well start playing something.
Sweetheart (recently renamed to something I can' recall) flutes makes
good, not terribly expensive, wooden (and non-wooden) fifes
and you can check them online. Hope this helps.
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

jim stone wrote:Of course mold would be no problem with a plastic fife.
Actually not true! When I first became interested in flute (after playing whistle for a few years), all I could afford was a plastic fife, which I played in the first two octaves only. After a few years of playing it I developed a bad respiratory illness, and upon looking inside the barrel I discovered it was covered in white and yellow mold. I had been breathing in the spores while playing. You have to swab out plastic fifes and flutes too.
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

jim stone wrote:Humidity, unless it is truly intense, is not an enemy of flutes/fifes, which are more in danger from dryness.
The humidity here isn't terrible (Virginia's humidity was much worse for me). Having a portable air-conditioner that also has a dehumidifier function helps, too.

Sweetheart's workshop is now used by Musique Morneaux. I didn't find any mention of Jem on the C&F flutemakers' list...but then it does specify that those are makers of wooden flutes.
bradhurley wrote:You have to swab out plastic fifes and flutes too.
Presumably this is also a good idea for whistles?
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

Dan A. wrote:
bradhurley wrote:You have to swab out plastic fifes and flutes too.
Presumably this is also a good idea for whistles?
Wooden whistles and maybe plastic whistles, yes. I've never had a problem with mold on standard metal whistles (Generations, Sindt, Burke, etc.) and don't swab them out.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

jim stone wrote:... I believe you can get a plastic fife from Jem the Flute, who is a member.
It's been more than five years since Jem's advertised a new batch of his pvc piccolos (although there have been some mentioned as re-sales by other members). Maybe it's time for Jem to make some more. :poke:

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
matthewnoell

Post by matthewnoell »

I started with a plastic fife from Cooperman. It's worth the $10.

http://www.cooperman.com/fife-news/trad ... l-student/
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I have a 6 key Bb band fife in some anonymous black wood*. No cracks or obvious maladies, but I never managed to get a pleasant sound out of it, which fact I attribute to poor embouchure and lack of sustained effort**, although careful attention to rehydration & pads might matter, too. It looks like it dates from mid last century. German silver keys. It's an open question whether I can lay my hands on it after the last several moves. I think I paid $50 for it in a junktique store 20+ years ago, but it's anyone's for 75.

*but looks more like stained hardwood, perhaps box or more likely pear, than a tropical.

**I got an 8 key Monzani flute only weeks later, and concentrated on that.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

For plastic fifes I’m a big fan of Tony Dixon’s, https://www.tonydixonmusic.co.uk/products/dx015/d

Perfectly serviceable enough to buy, find out if fife playing works for you, and then you can decide if its worth splashing out on a more expensive instrument.
Spielorjh
Tell us something.: I play whistle and want to talk to others who do also. I need to pad this out to 100 characters. 100 characters is longer than it seems to be when one is typing. Perhaps I'll overshoot.

Post by Spielorjh »

My first fife was a cheapo gift shop one at Fort Moultrie. To my surprise: a) it was playable and b) I could play it. I now have an aluminum D and Bb fife from Angus Fifes and I love them. He put lip plates on his tunable models for me, no charge. I play Irish music on them like tin whistles in the first two octaves and a lot of the skills do transfer over.

One thing to be aware of is that fifes are (so I hear) designed to perform best in octaves 2 and 3, so your Cnat fingering might change depending on how loud you're playing in the first octave. My fifes require OXX XXO unless I'm really going, and then an OXX OOO is mostly sufficient.

Also, most sessions (so I've also heard) will be much happier with you if you play the whistle there rather than the D fife.
Dan A.

Post by Dan A. »

sfmans wrote:For plastic fifes I’m a big fan of Tony Dixon’s, https://www.tonydixonmusic.co.uk/products/dx015/d
That would be a good option, especially if I can find a stateside dealer.