New Regulator!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Tjones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

New Regulator!

Post by Tjones »

Historically some of the pastoral pipes had one or two regulators, so I thought I’d like to add one and see if it would expand my playing experience. Because the pipes are made of blackwood, I didn’t want to send them back to Geert Lejeune in Brugge, and I’m pretty sure he doesn’t make regulators.

Brad Angus http://bradanguspipes.myfreesites.net/about-me lives close and I had heard good things about his pipes, so I thought I would give him a try.

I was pretty nervous, and wonder if Brad could match not only the blackwood, but also the horn, and blend it to the existing style in looks and sound.

Brad exceeded my expectations ~ he was able to match the blackwood and the horn looks fabulous! I feel the quality is first rate, and I’m a goldsmith, so I should know. Not only did he deliver, he did it in the time he said.

The sound of the regulator is not overpowering, and it is in balance with the rest of pipes. It will won’t respond the same as on an uilleann pipe because of the length of the chanter gets in the way, but it adds a nice touch. Now comes the hard part of learning to use the regulator musically.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO ... D41xYP-2y_

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN ... CqTrMTlNaF

Thank you Brad!
awildman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: New Regulator!

Post by awildman »

Cant access the pics.

Brad is quite the interesting character, isn't he? I've been over to his place a few times to have work done. Always get a good story or two from him, and there is usually a project on the bench that makes me drool. It's really handy having him so close.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

You can find brad at anguspipes on Facebook too.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

I already replied to your other thread, but I just wanted to reiterate here that Brad is definitely a master at the craft. My full set was made by him, and it's a beauty. And yes, there are plenty of good stories to go along with a visit to his shop.
Life is good.
Tjones

Post by Tjones »

dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

Those links worked, thanks. Nice, it really is a pretty seamless addition to the instrument. I don't think I've actually heard pastoral pipes.
Life is good.
Pipewort

Post by Pipewort »

Looks great.

How about a sound sample.
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

Looks good but.... weird position as normally on a Pastoral pipe it is on top. Is it a baritone regulator?
Tjones

Post by Tjones »

Elmek wrote:Looks good but.... weird position as normally on a Pastoral pipe it is on top. Is it a baritone regulator?

Yes, it is a baritone ~ I thought I would be using it mainly to add a note to make a chord. There is is D,F#,G & A. And like I said It's going to take me a while to learn to make it musically pleasing. If you are just interested in hearing what a Pastoral pipe sounds like, there are some videos on YouTube, There are some nice ones by Remi Decker.
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

Brad is one of the most interesting and talented pipe makers out there and I don't think there is anything he can't do. It constantly amazes me how little buzz you hear about him.
He makes everything himself, including rolling his own tubing, to get just what he wants. If he had space he would probably tan his own leather.
aphillips
Tell us something.: I've gone down many rabbit holes starting with whistles and continuing with many different kinds of bagpipes. I founded and run the 30 musician ensemble Folk Orchestra Santa Barbara.

Post by aphillips »

WOW those are beautiful!
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

kmag wrote:Brad is one of the most interesting and talented pipe makers out there and I don't think there is anything he can't do. It constantly amazes me how little buzz you hear about him
Brad is also a very fine piper which comes in handy
in regard to what an instrument can and must do.
I sent him a chanter that never was reeded properly
and it comes back playing like it never had before.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa