New Regulator!

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
Tjones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

New Regulator!

Post by Tjones »

Historically some of the pastoral pipes had one or two regulators, so I thought I’d like to add one and see if it would expand my playing experience. Because the pipes are made of blackwood, I didn’t want to send them back to Geert Lejeune in Brugge, and I’m pretty sure he doesn’t make regulators.

Brad Angushttp://bradanguspipes.myfreesites.net/about-me lives close and I had heard good things about his pipes, so I thought I would give him a try.

I was pretty nervous, and wonder if Brad could match not only the blackwood, but also the horn, and blend it to the existing style in looks and sound.

Brad exceeded my expectations ~ he was able to match the blackwood and the horn looks fabulous! I feel the quality is first rate, and I’m a goldsmith, so I should know. Not only did he deliver, he did it in the time he said.

The sound of the regulator is not overpowering, and it is in balance with the rest of pipes. It will won’t respond the same as on an uilleann pipe because of the length of the chanter gets in the way, but it adds a nice touch. Now comes the hard part of learning to use the regulator musically.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO ... D41xYP-2y_

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN ... CqTrMTlNaF

Thank you Brad!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: New Regulator!

Post by Nanohedron »

I'd love to see the result, but first I have to sign in to Google, and then I get a 404 Error message. Got anything more user-friendly?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

Brad is the man! I live near him as well and have a set of uilleann pipes he made. He's definitely a master at the craft.

The links are broken for me as well, and it would be cool to see regs with pastoral!
Life is good.
Tjones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tjones »

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

There you go. That's one sharp-looking set. :thumbsup:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician