Inexpensive Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Inexpensive Whistles

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Perhaps something like what Peter is on about.
It's hard to put it in words isn't it? Perhaps whistles are modified to appeal to a different aesthetic, much like most designer whistles are. Take out the wildness that's essential to Irish music and add a bit of gentrification. That sort of thing. I don't know. All I can say that after playing certain whistles I have a strong hunger to go back to basics and take a Generation (or similar) that hasn't been interfered with from the jar. Totally subjective no doubt.
My brain hurts

s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
Perhaps something like what Peter is on about.
It's hard to put it in words isn't it?
Or maybe it's just incoherent nonsense.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

Here's how I settled down.
1. Bought a bunch of cheapies, got discouraged. Gave cheapies away.

2. Bought Dixons and Freemans, liked both very much. Liked Freemans more, sold Dixons, gave one Dixon away.

3. Tried several expensive whistles. Liked Freemans better, except for the Burke. Sold expensive whistles, kept the Burke. Kept moderately priced Killarney but still liked Freeman and Burke better.

4. Conclusion:
My go-to whistles are......

D: Freeman Mellow Dog, Burke brass narrow bore (Killarney lives in a nice cloth bag and comes out on occasion.)
C: Freeman Blackbird (using brass tube instead of nickel)
Bb: Freeman Gen
A: Chris Wall (looks like wood, feels like wood)
G: Freeman

Having too many varieties of whistles per key hampered my playing. (I'm not that good.) Focusing on voices I liked made me play more.
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

Anyone want to hear from an actual beginner? I didn't think so but here it is. (collective groan) I've been playing for a few months now with the only whistle I know, Waltons D bought for me by my pal in Derry. I play it every day without fail, no surprise that I still suck. I went visit said pal (he lives in my town and is an old punk like me) He let me try his new Killarney D and damn!!! It was like driving a Ferrari after only knowing Toyota. The thing is that after a while of widdling through my small playlist I found that I kept going back to my budget whistle. Probably because it was the sound that I came to know. My new Dixon Trad is closer to the Waltons than the Killarney and I really like the sound. This is strictly an uneducated observation of course.

Still haven't heard back from Jerry
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

Don't discount the sound of the room and who you're planning on playing with when you're trying out whistles. I love my Killarney D, but it sounds thin in a dead room (carpets, couches, low ceilings). In my living room with hardwood floors and high ceilings, it sounds great, with a clean, chirpy upper register. I've also noticed at sessions and busking that the chiff and breathiness of other whistles like my Generations get lost in the fray, so those qualities become less of an issue if you're primarily looking for a session instrument.

While I like the sound of Generations in a whistle solo, I think the "purer" sound of the Killarney, Sindt, etc. sound better in group settings.