A good Whistle for 100€?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
smoro
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A good Whistle for 100€?

Post by smoro »

Hi guys:
I mostly play the flute and I usually have a look to the flute forums, but I ask for your help and advice. I am looking for a good D whistle for about 100€.
Can you help!
Thanks!
S.
whistlecollector
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: A good Whistle for 100€?

Post by whistlecollector »

smoro wrote:Hi guys:
I mostly play the flute and I usually have a look to the flute forums, but I ask for your help and advice. I am looking for a good D whistle for about 100€.
Can you help!
Thanks!
S.
A pretty open ended request, that. Skim the C&F list of whistle makers and you'll find any number of "good" whistles in your price range.

You'll also get a dozen opinions pro and con for any of them.

If this is your first whistle, I'd recommend doing yourself the favor of getting a "good" whistle in a lower price bracket. Can hardly go wrong with a Jerry freeman tweaked (in a range of keys) for about 40€

Just send me the 60€ as finders fee! ;)

Seriously, if you like the Freeman, great! You can always add a couple other keys and still come out ahead. If you don't like it, you'll not have wasted a hundred euros right at the start and you can still try something else.
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Killarney every time. For me, they're the best whistles out there at the moment, and they also happen to be only €74 (€79 with a pouch, which is well worth getting IMO). I prefer the brass, but some of my whistle playing friends prefer the nickel. They're both good.
smoro

Post by smoro »

Thanks guys.
I had should mentioned that the whistle is not for me, but for a fríend. I have and play from time to time a Generations D whistle and I am quite happy with it, but my friend is looking for something different, since he does not feel happy with Generatios. Hence de request, I mostly play the flute and am a bit lost about whistle market.
thanks!
S.
smoro

Post by smoro »

benhall.1 wrote:Killarney every time. For me, they're the best whistles out there at the moment, and they also happen to be only €74 (€79 with a pouch, which is well worth getting IMO). I prefer the brass, but some of my whistle playing friends prefer the nickel. They're both good.
I´ll have a look to this.
Regards.
s.
smoro

Post by smoro »

whistlecollector wrote:
smoro wrote:Hi guys:
Can you help!
Thanks!
S.
A pretty open ended request, that. Skim the C&F list of whistle makers and you'll find any number of "good" whistles in your price range.

You'll also get a dozen opinions pro and con for any of them.

If this is your first whistle, I'd recommend doing yourself the favor of getting a "good" whistle in a lower price bracket. Can hardly go wrong with a Jerry freeman tweaked (in a range of keys) for about 40€

Just send me the 60€ as finders fee! ;)

Seriously, if you like the Freeman, great! You can always add a couple other keys and still come out ahead. If you don't like it, you'll not have wasted a hundred euros right at the start and you can still try something else.
You are good doing bussines!!!
:lol: :lol:
Thanks for your advice!
S.
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

smoro wrote:Thanks guys.
I had should mentioned that the whistle is not for me, but for a fríend. I have and play from time to time a Generations D whistle and I am quite happy with it, but my friend is looking for something different, since he does not feel happy with Generatios. Hence de request.
It might be worth exploring why your friend doesn't like the Generation whistle. Buying a more expensive whistle won't turn a poor player into a good player overnight...
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I have been buying and whistles for decades and have a very very good collection for comparison and agree that at the price Killarney is a winner. I have both the nickel and brass. I like the brass best, but honestly think the nickel is great too. My brass thing may just be a visual. They both play with smooth octave transitions and nice intonation. I had stopped buying new d whistles a couple of years ago, but couldn't resist the Killarney. They carry well in sessions as well.
Ketil

Post by Ketil »

Another vote for the Killarney!
Technocelts
Tell us something.: I have loved the tin whistle since 1999. I just started playing 4 weeks ago. Wanted to meet others with same interest and get opinions.

Post by Technocelts »

Killarney’s with pouch for $92 & free shipping anywhere in the USA at https://celticcrosswhistleshop.com
Delivery is 2 to 3 days after your order is placed.
awildman

Post by awildman »

Very happy with my brass Killarney.
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

I've not, in person, seen, heard or played a Killarney whistle and I would recommend a Killarney :lol: I'll prolly pick one up next time I'm in Ireland though. I base my recommendation on what I've read about them and for the fact that they seem to be exactly like a Sindt whistle. Of which I have one and am quite happy with it. Plus they are made by a very good player and the sound speaks for itself. Also, some of the videos that Brian Hughs has recently posted are pretty convincing!
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

whistle1000 wrote:I've not, in person, seen, heard or played a Killarney whistle and I would recommend a Killarney :lol: I'll prolly pick one up next time I'm in Ireland though. I base my recommendation on what I've read about them and for the fact that they seem to be exactly like a Sindt whistle. Of which I have one and am quite happy with it. Plus they are made by a very good player and the sound speaks for itself. Also, some of the videos that Brian Hughs has recently posted are pretty convincing!
For me, although they do look like a Sindt, they don't play like one. They're much better.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

For me, although they do look like a Sindt, they don't play like one. They're much better.
Not sure 'better' is the right term when deciding factor is one of preference. Sindts are made with more care and precision, if my two Killarneys are anything to go by. The Killarneys have a sweetness that's absent from the Sindt and handle slightly different. And there's no silly money involved. Better? YMMV.
My brain hurts

benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
Not sure 'better' is the right term when deciding factor is one of preference. Sindts are made with more care and precision, if my two Killarneys are anything to go by. The Killarneys have a sweetness that's absent from the Sindt and handle slightly different. And there's no silly money involved. Better? YMMV.
You've probably expressed it better than I did. I was trying to imply an idea of it being a "preference" with my "For me, ..."