Dixon Bb Opinions

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Dixon Bb Opinions

Post by Jayhawk »

I am contemplating a Dixon Bb, but am not sure if I should get the Bb trad or the all polymer tunable model.

Thoughts? I don't want a heavy bodied whistle as I need it to warm up fast for the few tunes I use it on while playing gigs.

Louder is a positive, as is flutier tone.

Thanks,

Eric
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Re: Dixon Bb Opinions

Post by Chifmunk »

I have both the Trad and the polymer Dixons in Bb. They are both delightful and have beautiful round tone. The brass has that metal-like hollow tone and a little more whistley 'chiff'. The polymer IMHO has a stronger but more velvet tone- a tiny bit closer to the sound of a recorder. The polymer seems to hit the notes more clearly right away, while the brass might have a bit more flexibility before it lands square on the note.
Both are so much fun to play and I feel are greatly in tune up and down. But...If I had to keep only one, it would be the polymer one, because I love the softer rich 'old' sound when I play Early music and medieval etc. However if i played only Irish tunes then probably i'd pick the Trad! :D
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Very helpful...I play the whistles solely as backing for Irish songs so opted for the all polymer model. I have a fine Bb Generation for Irish tunes.

Thank you!
Last edited by Jayhawk on Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hooleh
Tell us something.: A whistler and a beginner Uilleann piper from Scandinavia. Maybe some day a piper during this life time.

Post by Hooleh »

I have the brass Bb and the mouthpiece comes right off so you can use it as sort of a tunable whistle. At least that's the case with my whistle.
Otherwise Chifmunk said it all.
puipui
Tell us something.: I am playing whistles since 3 years ago but still at a beginner level. I especially like the tone produced by whistles of key of Bb.

Post by puipui »

Jayhawk wrote:Very helpful...I play the whistles solely as backing for Irish songs so opted for the all polymer model. I have a fine Bb Generation for Irish tunes.
You also have a nice Susato s-bore Kildare Bb.
I am curious about why you transfer your affections to Dixons.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

I have a susato Oriole Bb, but I find it more temperamental than the Gen and the Gen a tad louder.

The Susato has simply fallen out of favor, and since no one wants to sell me their Bb water weasel...I thought I would try a Dixon Bb.
puipui
Tell us something.: I am playing whistles since 3 years ago but still at a beginner level. I especially like the tone produced by whistles of key of Bb.

Post by puipui »

Jayhawk wrote: since no one wants to sell me their Bb water weasel...I thought I would try a Dixon Bb.
I saw Bb water weasel listed in the Irish flute store web page, although their price is too high for me.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

I think it's gone now, bit it was a combo and I would never use the other key.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Ok...received a Dixon all polymer Bb, and it is simply wonderful. Strong bell note, louder than a Generation Bb or a Susato Oriel... it's exactly what I wanted.
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

I'm so glad you love it! It's one of my three most favorite whistles to reach for... so velvety smooth and rich. :D
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers