Harmonies in a duet

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
joeyhausler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I need to find a harmony for Si Bheag Si Mhor. I want to play with one of my students. I've been plaiying the whistle for 6 months and I love it!

Harmonies in a duet

Post by joeyhausler »

I have some students that I am trying to teach the whistle to and would love some feedback or advice.

I am looking for free sheet music that has some great harmonies written out for a duet. If you could post any links that fit under this category, that would be great!

I was also wondering if you all had some tips on what keys the whistles should be in to harmonize well.

The kind of song that I am looking for is Si Bheag Si Mhor, but I am open to others as well.

Feel free to answer any part of this question you know something about.

Thanks,

Joey
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Re: Harmonies in a duet

Post by MichaelLoos »

This page offers plenty of Irish as well as other tunes, arranged for duet, trio or quartet - but is meant for string instruments, and not free: https://georgianettleton.bandcamp.com/
I am not aware of any free source of pre-arranged music for whistle duet.
Not meaning to be offensive - but as a teacher, you should have enough knowledge of music theory to know which whistle keys harmonize and which don't... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_fifths
joeyhausler
Tell us something.: I need to find a harmony for Si Bheag Si Mhor. I want to play with one of my students. I've been plaiying the whistle for 6 months and I love it!

Post by joeyhausler »

Thank you for the helpful tips Michael. I like being able to listen to the arrangement for buying it, pretty handy!

In regards to the teaching part of it, I should have clarified that they are my 4th grade students and I am not their music teacher. I am a bit of a novice myself :) sorry for not clarifying.
CornishFiddler
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddle player really (please go easy...) with many years in Scottish ceilidh, Irish, Balkan and klezmer bands, now playing with a Cornish group and in sessions and folk clubs. I'm trying to reconnect to a flirtation I had with whistles and recorders many years ago...

Post by CornishFiddler »

You could try the International Music Score Library Project https://imslp.org/wiki/Main_Page - all free to download public domain sheet music that can be searched in various ways. It is mostly classical obviously, but includes some traditional Irish and Scottish and probably lots of others if you take the time to look, it's a huge collection.

I doubt there is anything written specifically for whistle, but lots of material written for other instruments would do just fine. Here is an example of a vocal setting of Down by the Sally Gardens in C where the soprano and alto lines would make a nice duet https://imslp.nl/imglnks/usimg/a/ae/IMS ... _score.pdf
Jeffpederp
Tell us something.: Already play mandolin but attended whistle class at music camp in Newfoundland. Now a new whistler just learning to play cuts and when to breathe. Have a few whistles and At first I thought they were bad but now realize it was my playing. Used the Clarke book at first but now have private teacher and improving.

Post by Jeffpederp »

A few posts have started a couple of days ago on the Discussion section of the Session titled whistle ensemble pieces. Might be worth following it.
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

Sorry Joey, I thought you were a whistle, flute or music teacher...
Anyhow, any whistle plays easily in the major keys of the tonic and the fourth - in case of a D whistle D and G major, and the minor keys of the second, fifth and sixth - E, A and B minor for a D whistle (actually dorian and/or aeolian scales, no real minor as in classical music).
If the tune you want to play is in the key signature of D, D and A whistles will work out fine, if it is in G, it is G and D whistles.
So far so good - BUT: teaching 4th graders will probably mean that you'll not want to spend a fortune on the instruments, and therefore stick to the cheap whistles - which again means, a limited range of keys to choose from. Generation whistles are available in Bb, C, D, Eb, F and high G (VERY shrill!) - keys like A, low G and below that, as well as the in-between keys, are only available in more expensive versions. So, the possible low-cost combos are: Bb + Eb or F, C + F or G, D + G.
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

In the most basic method... If the main melody is in the key of D for instance, then usually one would be playing on a D whistle in the key of D. The person playing a harmony part would also be playing in the key of D, and can use a D whistle as well- the usual harmony notes are all available in a whistle of that key, and the harmony line can be played on the same whistle. Likewise if one is playing in the key of G on a D whistle- the harmony notes for the key of G would be there on the D whistle as well, you're both playing in the same key and that whistle has all the notes for that key/scale.
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers