Book recommendations

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
dianaofthedunes
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a novice whistle-player and looking to learn more, especially (at the moment) about different whistles.

Book recommendations

Post by dianaofthedunes »

I've always loved traditional music, but only really got into it when I started taking whistle lessons about a year ago. I'm enjoying it greatly, and was hoping for suggestions for other books. What are your favorites?
Korwen

Re: Book recommendations

Post by Korwen »

I know this isn't a book recommendation, so I apologize for that, but between thesession.org and the music I've gotten from the O'Flaherty retreat resources (http://www.oflahertyretreat.org/musicresources.html) I haven't felt the need to purchase any books for their songs - I can find most of what I've needed at the above locations.

That being said, if you're looking for instructional books, Mel Bay's "Essential Guide to Irish Flute and Tin Whistle" is what I've been using to supplement my teaching.
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

Are you after books about the music (hostory, background, stories, biographies), books of tunes, or tutor books?
dianaofthedunes
Tell us something.: I'm a novice whistle-player and looking to learn more, especially (at the moment) about different whistles.

Mostly books about the music: players, history, memoirs...
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Historically speaking Francis O'Neill's Irish Music a fascinating Hobby and Irish Minstrels and Musicians are important (and both available on-line too). Donal O Suilleabhean's Carolan (let's not argue about Carolan being traditional or not), and off the top of my head : See you at the Hall by Susan Gedutis about the Boston/US dance hall music, Free spirits for Traveller musicians, Nigel Boulier's hefty Handed down, for northern music, The Northern Fiddler for Donegal musicians, Trip to Sligo for Sligo, Barry Taylor's Music in a breeze of wind for a view of West Clare, Flowing Tides for a general/academic outlook, Out of Darkness for Garret Barry (the 19 century West Clare piper), Vallely's The Companion.. for an encyclopedic look on everything else, Fintan Vallely (again) for Ben Lennon : The Tailor's Twist, Peter Woods' Living Note, Carson's Last night's Fun, Mac Aodh's Between the jigs and reels for even more Donegal/Northern musicians, Pj Curtis' Notes from the Heart, Tunney's Stone fiddle, Charlie Piggot and Fintan Vallely's Blooming Meadows. The Otherworld, for music and stories of the fairies. Gary Hastings' With fife and drum, on the Northern fife and drum tradition. It really depends on your interest (in a particular style of music/area etc), there is a good bit but some of can get a bit too specific if you're not all that into the particular subject.

My brain hurts

An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

"As we met..." by Brid Talty is a nice memoir of the Talty family of west Clare.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
dianaofthedunes

Wow, Mr. Gumby! Looks like a great list. I'll definitely be checking those out!

And I just realized part of my original post is missing... There was a sentence in there about reading "Last Night's Fun", which was what I was referring to when I said that I'm "enjoying it greatly". I'm enjoying trad music, too, but that's a given here, I would think... Sorry for the confusion; I knew there was a reason I generally don't​ type much on my phone or tablet. :oops:
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

dianaofthedunes wrote:Wow, Mr. Gumby! Looks like a great list. I'll definitely be checking those out!
Oh, Gumby nothing about the Russells of Doolin??? :poke:

Or did my eyes fail me again. Gotta get these cataracts fixed...

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Oh, Gumby nothing about the Russells of Doolin???
I did say 'off the top of my head'. That means something like tearing random bits out of a disorganised room.

I did think of mentioning the Russells but somehow the space in my thoughts is still overwhelmed by the sadly unfinished book as it were. I also thought of Micho a few hours ago, when re-joining the (very busy) traffic on the main road at Kilcolgan.

Perhaps 'the New Policeman' by Kate Thompson should have had a mention but I thought young adult fiction was off the OP's menu.
My brain hurts

Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Mr.Gumby wrote:I did say 'off the top of my head'. That means something like tearing random bits out of a disorganised room.
According to the photo that accompanies your messages, the top of your head is covered by a neatly tied kerchief. Looks like it would contained any random bits in a relatively orderly fashion—or it simply disguises a disorganized room.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Oh, Gumby nothing about the Russells of Doolin???
D'oh.

I really should have thought of this, even more so when prompted: Micho Russell : bibliography and discography. Image

Sorry about that. I was just back from a day in Galway and was straight out of the car after driving back when I posted yesterday, the head took a while to catch up..
My brain hurts

Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

Perhaps 'the New Policeman' by Kate Thompson should have had a mention but I thought young adult fiction was off the OP's menu.[/quote]

My wife, daughter and I have all read The New Policeman at least twice. The whole trilogy, in fact, but the first one is the best, and we all loved it including the adults.

This one may get mixed reviews, but I liked "Ireland, a Bicycle, and a Tin Whistle" by David Wilson a lot more than I thought i would.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

I just stumbled upon a book by David A. Wilson, called Ireland, a Bicycle and a Tin Whistle.
Basically the author travels around Ireland by bike looking for traditional Irish songs. Might be an interesting read.
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

"Last Night's Fun" by Ciaran Carson is a fantastic book, describing session culture, very funny anecdotes about old timers, detailed descriptions and histories of several instruments. Not the least, a treatise on the breakfast fry. Carson is a poet and flute player. Very entertaining for lovers of Irish music and/or lovers of Irish culture. A poet friend of mine I loaned it to said he read it in small increments so it would last.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
keylessflute

Post by keylessflute »

What about these two: Sean O'Riada Our musical heritage and Breandan Breathnach Folk Music and Dances of Ireland?