Pachebel Canon in D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
aikoheiwa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Pachebel Canon in D

Post by aikoheiwa »

Hi everyone!

I apologise if this has been asked before. Although I did a search, so many options came up, I couldn't find the answer to this particular question.

Does anyone know where I can find a tin whistle version of Pachebel's Canon in D? I'd be particularly interested in a trio. My children and I are learning tin whistle (we do a six week session every year) and I wanted to see if we could play this together. If anyone knows where I can get it (either free or inexpensively), please let me know. The best kind would have the fingerings, mainly for my two boys who aren't as into it and would prefer the fingerings. :-D

Thanks for any help!
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Pachebel Canon in D

Post by Tunborough »

IMSLP has transcriptions for 4 recorders and 3 recorders plus continuo, among many others. Haven't looked at them myself, but you might find them useful.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

While I'm sure the recorder folks will be closer to the 'classic' tune, I urge you to search the Tunes section at The Session.Org for 'Pachelbel's Frolics' and 'Pachelbel's Pacqette' for a slightly more 'trad' take on all this. The discussion section is quite revealing and points to recordings by Martin Hayes and
Eileen Ivers.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
bogman

Post by bogman »

I've not posted pics here before but see if this works...
https://imgur.com/pYS1VqD
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I've not posted pics here before but see if this works...
Use img tags:

My brain hurts

bogman

Post by bogman »

Thanks Mr.Gumby
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

You don't need a whistle version, really. I've performed it at weddings as a whistle duet just reading the actual music.

BTW you can't perform that canon, or any canon, solo.

You can play one of the parts, but one of the parts by itself isn't a canon.

(Hmmm... I wonder if it could be done on the pipes, the regs taking one of the parts!)
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

an seanduine wrote:While I'm sure the recorder folks will be closer to the 'classic' tune, I urge you to search the Tunes section at The Session.Org for 'Pachelbel's Frolics' and 'Pachelbel's Pacqette' for a slightly more 'trad' take on all this. The discussion section is quite revealing and points to recordings by Martin Hayes and
Eileen Ivers.

Bob
The trouble with that is that Pachelbel's Frolics has very little to do with Pachelbel's Canon. It hardly even has much of a vague reference to it. I like it, mind.