Newbie question delrin v wood on a budget?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
JimmyManley
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm just starting out on my whistle journey -at the tender young age if 55. So I'm hoping to maybe pick up some tips on playing or who make good quality low priced whistles.

Re: Newbie question delrin v wood on a budget?

Post by JimmyManley »

JoFo wrote:When I was first starting out, I brought three flutes to my first lesson. The two-piece Dixon, the three-piece Dixon and the Casey Burns Folk Flute. My teacher didn't like the Dixon flutes at all (so it can't be just me). He did like the Folk flute a lot, though.

The Folk flute is extremely easy to play and sounds really good.

Ill keep an eye out for a Casey Burns in the UK but if I buy from America it starts to go way over my budget
cheip
Tell us something.: Hello! I am a flute player from Italy, I'm lurking this forum by years, and now I want to register my account. Really, I have a flute to sell, but surely I approve your rules, and I will contribute to the forum to gain the rights to sell something. :^)

Post by cheip »

Hello!
Someone cited Doug Tipple flutes.
If you want to buy one of it, I have one to sell from Europe (Italy).
This is the sale post on this forum! :thumbsup:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=105563
JoFo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by JoFo »

I think he already bought one. :)

And as for a Casey Burns Folk Flute, I have one for sale. I live in Sweden, so there are no import duties.
cheip
Tell us something.: Hello! I am a flute player from Italy, I'm lurking this forum by years, and now I want to register my account. Really, I have a flute to sell, but surely I approve your rules, and I will contribute to the forum to gain the rights to sell something. :^)

Post by cheip »

JoFo wrote:I think he already bought one. :)
Yep, you are right. :D
I change my advice to the open poster: if you can, wait to have more money to spend (about 500/600€) and buy a wooden flute. Some good makers offer very nice keyless wooden flute that fits that budget.
JimmyManley
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm just starting out on my whistle journey -at the tender young age if 55. So I'm hoping to maybe pick up some tips on playing or who make good quality low priced whistles.

Post by JimmyManley »

cheip wrote:
JoFo wrote:I think he already bought one. :)
Yep, you are right. :D
I change my advice to the open poster: if you can, wait to have more money to spend (about 500/600€) and buy a wooden flute. Some good makers offer very nice keyless wooden flute that fits that budget.
Thanks for the advice guys. :thumbsup:
As I said I have been lucky and got hold of a Tipple quite cheaply -and am enjoying it.
At the moment the sounds coming out are OK but I can see ive plenty of work to do yet. It'll be a long time before I take it to our fortnightly session :D

I'm going to stick with my 'plastic' flute until I have a bit more experience of playing and a FAR better embouchere :) but I can well imagine spending more money later on when I've a bit more of an idea of what I might want. I've never known any musician that only had one instrument. :D :D :) :) :D
AaronFW
Tell us something.: I started with playing bamboo flutes. But I transitioned to primarily playing the Boehm flute a few lessons ago with the aim of getting good music instruction. However, I've been transitioning to playing Irish Traditional Music on simple flutes.

Post by AaronFW »

JimmyManley wrote: I've never known any musician that only had one instrument. :D :D :) :) :D
In my perception, flutes are particularly problematic in this regard. To quote a friend, “You first think that the flute is a small instrument and it doesn’t take up much space. That is, until you have a thousand of them.”
David Parkhurst
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by David Parkhurst »

There's a Delrin Somers for sale on the "used" forum. I just got one. Nice tone and great in a bar brawl.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

David Parkhurst wrote:There's a Delrin Somers for sale on the "used" forum. I just got one. Nice tone and great in a bar brawl.
"used" forum where? Nothing on C&F.
Mladen

Post by Mladen »

kkrell wrote:
David Parkhurst wrote:There's a Delrin Somers for sale on the "used" forum. I just got one. Nice tone and great in a bar brawl.
I do believe David was referring to this one:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=105493
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Mladen wrote:
kkrell wrote:
I do believe David was referring to this one:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=105493
Thanks. My forum search missed it, and I also checked in Sold and Old.