Rudall Carte case restoration

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
matt.ashworth
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Rudall Carte case restoration

Post by matt.ashworth »

I have recently acquired a Rudall Carte Radcliff flute in great condition but the case is a bit worse for wear. Any thoughts or suggestions on material to replace the well worn green interior? It is worn away in places, plus there are a couple of holes which look very like cigarette burns, and it is not providing a soft home for the flute.

Thanks

Matt
Flutesoftheforest

Re: Rudall Carte case restoration

Post by Flutesoftheforest »

I have made and restored a number of Rudall cases and have found that suede pig skin makes a most suitable lining material. It can be bought in a number of colours and is relatively cheep if bought from that well known internet auction site. You can either cut it to shape and lay it in the base of your case or if needed, glue using a latex based adhesive.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I wonder if others who have more experience with vintage cases would like to chime in on this one, but if you think your flute may have collectors value in the future you may want to leave the case alone and have one made. A true vintage case, even it tatters would be of interest to some buyers. Having something made so you can carry it around, and storing the original case might be the answer. Northwind cases in the State makes outstanding custom cases. Some modern makers may know of other case makers. Just a thought.
matt.ashworth

Post by matt.ashworth »

hmmm...thanks for the suggestions. The old case has a certain charm to it but even tidied up I am not sure it would be strong enough to protect the flute, so I may take your advice, busterbill, and make a new one.