O-O-Ophelia!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
an seanduine
antispam: No

O-O-Ophelia!

Post by an seanduine »

Thoughts and prayers for the Emerald Isle.

:o Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: O-O-Ophelia!

Post by rorybbellows »

There were three people killed but the destruction wasn't as bad as predicted. Thanks for your good wishes.

RORY
Last edited by rorybbellows on Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Spartacus .
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My brain hurts

an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Good to hear Kilfarboy survived. :D

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

And awaiting storm Brian's arrival (hence the post above).

The thing about hurricanes, these things are notoriously difficult to predict. But once you have a National Emergency Committee on the job, there's going to be warnings. That's their job and so there will be a degree hype, or so it will feel if the event doesn't live up to the predictions. But it's better to be safe than sorry. And it was unusual, and probably newsworthy, to have a tropical storm make it here undiminished.

It was a big storm but for the West, used to big storms, it wasn't really all that exceptional. During the winter of 2013/14 we had a succession of six major storms in a period of six weeks, each of them did an immense amount of damage along the Western seaboard. The last one of that run, in February 2014, and the forecasters didn't really see that coming at all, was possibly the most scary storm I have ever experienced, it came out of nowhere and was particularly vicious. Ophelia was nothing like that.

On Monday Lahinch was crowded with free lance photographers and the RTE unit, probably hoping to catch waves reaching over buildings like they did during the 2013/14 storms. There was nothing exceptional to see though. I was talking to someone who works at the seafront there, she said nothing untoward happened at all but added 'it must have been a shock for Tipperary though'. Counties that normally don't get as much wind did get hit this time, this was not a storm that slowed down over land. And they got a bit of a knock. But we survived pretty well.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
My brain hurts

rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

He's not a storm, he's a very naughty boy.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .