Pillar Mounted Chanter Keys

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Toofargone

Pillar Mounted Chanter Keys

Post by Toofargone »

I recently bought some of the Howard unfinished chanters,forgetting that he mounted his keys on metal pillars and not the block mounts which are more common. As they were turned down but did not have the holes drilled I forgot that I would need to have to send them to a pipemaker/flute maker to have one or two pillar mounted keys fitted on a pair of chanters,one in B, other C". I have had the sound holes drilled by Martin Mc Intyre to Coyne measurements on the B, and the chanter is very pleasing and tactile, now I need help finding somebody to make/mount the c natural and f natural keys,or maybe just the c to start with. Is there anybody in the U.K. who would make/ fit the key/s for me?
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Pillar Mounted Chanter Keys

Post by rorybbellows »

AFAIK any of the makers who follow the Cillian O'Brien design use pillar mounted keys. They are Andy Faden, Gordon Galloway and Alan Burton.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
daveboling
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by daveboling »

Andreas Rogge offers pillar mounted keys on his regs. Don't believe I've ever seen him put them on a chanter, but I've only seen a dozen or so.

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

What about a flute maker?
PJ
Toofargone

Post by Toofargone »

Thanks,.P.J., looks like a flute maker would be quicker and hopefully not not cost an arm and a leg. Thanks for the responses,much appreciated.
m coulter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by m coulter »

Depending on where you're based in the UK you could always try contacting Andy Wheeldon at the woodwind making school of Newark and Sherwood college (now part of Lincoln college) One of the students may well be interested in helping you. It's the type of thing I did along side college work when I was there.