Is it just me, or do others find Tom Petty whiny?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Is it just me, or do others find Tom Petty whiny?

Post by s1m0n »

Incidentally, before we get away from Bohemian Rhapsody completely, here is the funniest tweet about Anthony Scaramucci's firing as white house coms director:

Thunderbolts and lightning indeed.
Last edited by s1m0n on Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:I confess I don't remember even hearing of Colosseum until now.
They were fabulous, and truly groundbreaking. Out of interest, just look who was in the band; amazing lineup:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colosseum_(band)
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

I've never heard of them either, but I was ready to learn. Clicking your link, however, got me this:
Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name. Please search for Colosseum (band in Wikipedia to check for alternative titles or spellings.
Log in or create an account to start the Colosseum (band article, alternatively use the Article Wizard, or add a request for it.
Search for "Colosseum (band" in existing articles.
Look for pages within Wikipedia that link to this title.
They sound like a UK band that never made it over the pond.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

s1m0n wrote:I've never heard of them either, but I was ready to learn. Clicking your link, however, got me this:
Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name. Please search for Colosseum (band in Wikipedia to check for alternative titles or spellings.
Log in or create an account to start the Colosseum (band article, alternatively use the Article Wizard, or add a request for it.
Search for "Colosseum (band" in existing articles.
Look for pages within Wikipedia that link to this title.
They sound like a UK band that never made it over the pond.
Probably so, but hugely influential. Dave Greenslade formed it. Other notable band members included Barbara Thompson, Jon Hiseman, Dick Heckstall-Smith, Dave Clemson and the wonderful vocalist Chris Farlowe (of "Out of Time (1966) fame).

I don't know why the link didn't work ... I'll have a poke about and see if I can see why ...
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

Forum software doesn't like the trailing bracket. Need to enclose link in URL tags
They must have passed me by.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

david_h wrote:Forum software doesn't like the trailing bracket. Need to enclose link in URL tags
They must have passed me by.
Thanks for fixing this David. You'd think I'd have known that. :oops:

Presumably Barbara Thompson, Dick Heckstall-Smith, et al didn't pass you by?
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

benhall.1 wrote:Presumably Barbara Thompson, Dick Heckstall-Smith, et al didn't pass you by?
'Passed by' is about it. In the sense that clicking through the links to the band members I know I heard albums by the variuous bands they were in but never looked at the LP sleeves or went to see them.

My mates payed even less attention to what I bought...
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

benhall.1 wrote: Presumably Barbara Thompson, Dick Heckstall-Smith, et al didn't pass you by?
Never heard of them, either.

C.S. Lewis
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

s1m0n wrote:
benhall.1 wrote: Presumably Barbara Thompson, Dick Heckstall-Smith, et al didn't pass you by?
Never heard of them, either.
Barbara Thompson is a big, big name, and massively influential. The one that people would normally recognise would be the flute part on Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds. But she's done masses, honest.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

I see from the wiki page that they mostly toured Europe, and (once) Japan. I think they're complete unknowns over here.

C.S. Lewis
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

s1m0n wrote:I see from the wiki page that they mostly toured Europe, and (once) Japan. I think they're complete unknowns over here.
Ah. OK. Fair enough.