Is it just me, or do others find Tom Petty whiny?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Is it just me, or do others find Tom Petty whiny?

Post by benhall.1 »

rorybbellows wrote:Heres a proper whinger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTKORcr1jhY

RORY
I love that song. :thumbsup:

I've just found out something amazing that I never knew before: Jilted John is the same fellow (pun intended) as John Shuttleworth! Isn't that amazing? :) The blokes a genius. :)
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Wuz that jimmy Saville introing the band?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

awildman wrote:I'll see your Tom Petty and raise you a Steve Perry.
Perhaps it's a generation-gap phenomenon. I like Tom Petty, worship Neil Young, and find Steve Perry tolerable, but Billy Corgan just sets my teeth on edge (seems extremely whiny). But I'm also old.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

PS: I suspect the Ontario version was a band called The Monks, who had a massive hit on a song called Drugs in my Pocket, on their debut album Dirty Habits, which saw them posing in nun's robes. They were a UK group that scored a smash hit, I think nowhere else, but '79 Toronto loved them.

Rumour was that the Monks were a punk-era relaunch of hippie band the Strawbs (The Strawberry Hill Mob).
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

I cannot listen to guns and roses because of Axle Roses screeching

RORY
PS yes that is Jimmy Saville .
I'm Spartacus .
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

Are there any male rockers who can actually sing? I'm struggling to come up with any.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Tunborough wrote:Are there any male rockers who can actually sing? I'm struggling to come up with any.
Do you mean now? Or ever? Jim Morrison could sing. Robert Plant could sing. Ian Gillan could sing. But these are all from a way back. Now? Rag 'n' Bone Man has an amazing voice, but perhaps you wouldn't consider him a rocker?

Then there's Seal ...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Rag 'n' Bone Man has an amazing voice, but perhaps you wouldn't consider him a rocker?
It's Still Rock And Roll To Me. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Tunborough wrote:Are there any male rockers who can actually sing? I'm struggling to come up with any.
One name above all. Steve Winwood.
Paul Rodgers of Free and Bad Company too.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Meatloaf, I suppose. David Clayton Thomas.

C.S. Lewis
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

I spoke carelessly.

Those gentlemen may be able to carry a tune; they may have robust voices and know how to use them. But I'm not convinced the men's voices are up to the same standard of vocal quality as those of women in rock, say Cass Elliot, Ann and Nancy Wilson, Sinéad O'Connor ...
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't good. The triumvirate of Petty, Dylan, and Young are why I started playing guitar when I was 12. I've ended up in classical music, specifically opera, where the voices are quite different. But I'd never denigrate one style over another. We can't all be Pavarotti, and honestly, that's a good thing. Chacun à son goût, indeed.
walrii

Post by walrii »

Music is subjective. We like what we like. Most of those cited in this thread as whiny or some other perjoritive sold records to millions of people. Not all of those people were unwashed illiterates. There’s something about each of those musicians that some large segment of the intelligent population likes.

Tom Petty - love his music, all of it
Bob Dylan - love his songs and lyrics, some of his performances I can do without
Neal Young - if I never ever hear another of his songs and never ever hear him sing, it will be too much, too soon
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

I like the singer from hootie and the blowfish.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

rorybbellows wrote:I cannot listen to guns and roses because of Axle Roses screeching
I think it was that sort of thing that played a big role in my seeking out Trad, actually. I needed some kind of beauty to counter the howls of the damned.

Mind you, I do not include Led Zeppelin in that category. I still love Led Zep without apology. The were utterly original, and as I see it, the Metal deluge proceeded from there. But all else that followed was only a pale imitation failing every time to approach Zep's art and depth, which IMO should have prompted folks to get off the bandwagon they'd created, concede defeat, and try something else. Zep's work would have been better left to stand on its own, because did anyone match it? Not in my book. But as a friend once said, the pages in my book haven't all been colored in yet. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician