Delrin Flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
custer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have been learning to play the whistle and my teacher recommended this site to me. I am currently looking to upgrade the whistle I have currently and would like to gather as much info on what other players are using.

Delrin Flutes

Post by custer »

Hello,
I am an adult beginner and would like suggestions on purchasing a delrin flute. If possible I would like to stay in the $500 dollar (US) range. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Cheers
Steve Bliven

Re: Delrin Flutes

Post by Steve Bliven »

Lots of folks will be along shortly to offer suggestions of their favorite delrin flute (personally I'd suggest a Copley without a tuning slide) but you might try the search option above as this has been discussed many times previously.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
dont

Post by dont »

Copley is a great choice!
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Spoiled for choice: Copley, Seery, Somers, Cochran, Forbes, Baubet.
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by plunk111 »

+1 for Copley and Sommers...
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
custer
Tell us something.: I have been learning to play the whistle and my teacher recommended this site to me. I am currently looking to upgrade the whistle I have currently and would like to gather as much info on what other players are using.

Post by custer »

I have sent emails to both Copley and Forbes inquiring about their
current availability and wait times
keithsandra

Post by keithsandra »

Not delrin but plastic and not to be overlooked for excellence and best prices are Doug Tipple and M&E flutes. Both have been called "Best bang for your buck" ...

Best wishes,

Keith.
Last edited by keithsandra on Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Also, there was a Baubet flute advertised here a couple of weeks back viewtopic.php?f=2&t=105204 He makes nice delrin instruments. Didn't see anything as to whether the advertised flute was sold.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

I like my Somers. Within your price range and the time from ordering to receiving of flute was quick. Plus, Gary is good to work with. Flute is five pieces, well made with a conical bore and metal tuning slide plus metal rings, all for $395.00+ shipping. Frankly, I think it's a bargain.
Juan Pablo Plata

Post by Juan Pablo Plata »

I play an excellent 8 keyed Watson in blackwood, but I own two unkeyed delrin flutes: Seery and Baubet. I was so pleased with the Baubet that I ordered a full keyed one in the same material. Much superior than the Seery I got from a known piper.
Ronk
Tell us something.: I enjoy playing flutes & whistles. C&F is a great place to learn more about both. It is interesting to find out more about makers, history, techniques and making music with these instruments.

Post by Ronk »

At $275 Walt Sweet's Shannon is a great flute at a reasonable price. It's worth taking a look at.
fsharp
Tell us something.: Playing flute for about 20 years... however, recently, due to surgery on my right hand I find it difficult to cover the holes in a flute, so, apart from a Boehm instrument, I'm not playing.
"that's Alright, I still have my guitar"
I still have a great interest in ITM

Post by fsharp »

Don't forget Damian Thompson. My only flute now is one of his as I sold all the others. The sound is perfect for ITM, reedy and yet sweet with an excellent and strong low D. The tuning is as perfect as can be - I can't recommend his flutes high enough!
"is it about a bicycle"?
Damian Thompson
Tell us something.: I am a flute maker and have been following the forum on and off for a very long time! I also enjoy playing the flute & whistle at local sessions in the West of Ireland.

Post by Damian Thompson »

Thanks for the mention fsharp! I'm a new(ish) maker based in the UK currently offering three models in Delrin, a Rudall, a Pratten (what fsharp has), & what I've called the 'Student' model, which is priced at £290 (including soft pouch). Modelled on the Rudall with Headjoint, barrel, nickel tuning slide & two piece body. Sterling silver rings are an option on all flutes too. Here's a pic of the 'Student' flute & a link to my new website, thanks!

https://www.thompsonflutes.com/

Cab
Tell us something.: Not sure whether I haven't registered at some time before but have come back to seek advice about a woodenflute maker.

Post by Cab »

Damian's flutes are very nice indeed and great value. Not well known yet but destined to join the list of makers of fine flutes, reprinted and wooden.
Cab
Tell us something.: Not sure whether I haven't registered at some time before but have come back to seek advice about a woodenflute maker.

Post by Cab »

That'll teach me to try typing messages on a phone with failing eyesight in failing light. How the hell does it change delrin to reprinted???