Clarke Meg & Freeman Blackbird

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
thx712517
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've always been a string instrument player but I always wanted to learn bagpipes. My lips were too weak to form a seal. Lately I've been interested in wind instruments that are similar keys to the bagpipes.

Clarke Meg & Freeman Blackbird

Post by thx712517 »

Hello all, new to whistling but not to musical instruments. Long time string player (guitar, violin, mandolin when I can find one) but a frustrated bagpiper. Never could form a seal to blow the chanter. I picked up a Clarke Meg whistle and have been working my way through the free Online Academy of Irish Music lessons on my lunch break. Once I'm done with that it's on to You Can Teach Yourself Tin Whistle by Mizzy McCaskill.

Now, once I've made some good progress in learning, I assume it would be a step up to acquire a Freeman Blackbird? It seems like some make mention of it requiring greater breath control, while others comment on how great a whistle it is and easy to play. Or should I look at his Mellow Dog variant? I like the idea of a quiet whistle since I play on my own and like my ears. I would assume that it is higher in quality since we're talking individually tweaked versus mass-produced.
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Re: Clarke Meg & Freeman Blackbird

Post by Chifmunk »

I have several Blackbirds and also a Mellow Dog. The Mellow Dog has a very slightly more mellow/round tone, but it seems to require a little bit more air push, maybe because the tube is a tiny bit wider than the Blackbird diameter. The Blackbird sounds more birdlike/warbly, and is very easy to produce pure notes on- requires less air push. Perhaps that's why some folks say it requires more breath 'control'... because if you are coming from a whistle that requires more air push, then you'll find on a Blackbird you'll be able to lighten up a bit and still gets lovely pure tone. I find it very easy to go back and forth between notes on a Blackbird.
Neither whistle is too loud, nor shrill. In my opinion both play easily and smoothly, are nicely in tune, and are great fun to play.
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

And if you want to fit right in with the rest of us who are over-whistled, get them both and see which you like best.... Whistles are perhaps the best bargain in the musical world—after Air Guitar of course.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
thx712517
Tell us something.: I've always been a string instrument player but I always wanted to learn bagpipes. My lips were too weak to form a seal. Lately I've been interested in wind instruments that are similar keys to the bagpipes.

Post by thx712517 »

I don't want to go too crazy with the whistle acquisition disease, but I will admit to a fascination with the low D whistles out there. I watch this video repeatedly.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PJnR3vsTkKs
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

Blackbirds and Mellow Dog are great whistles! Buy both ya can't go wrong with these whistles. :thumbsup:
thx712517

Post by thx712517 »

I am curious though, if the conical tin whistle makes for an easier transition to second octave and a more in-tune second octave, why are the Freeman whistles parallel bore? Could I stick a Freeman fipple on a conical bore body?
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!

Post by Chifmunk »

the blackbirds are tapered bore, not straight cylinder. They only come in three keys. I think Mellow dog is not tapered, but im not at home to double check.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Chifmunk wrote:the blackbirds are tapered bore, not straight cylinder.
Don't mean to be rude, but the Blackbirds do have a cylindrical bore. At least the one in my hand does...

Best wishes.

Steve
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

thx712517 wrote:I am curious though, if the conical tin whistle makes for an easier transition to second octave and a more in-tune second octave, why are the Freeman whistles parallel bore?
Metal tubing (cylindrical) is much easier to source in quantity than metal cones. This keeps manufacturing costs lower.
thx712517 wrote:Could I stick a Freeman fipple on a conical bore body?
It wouldn't play in tune. The tuning of a whistle depends on the geometry of the whistle head, the size and position of the toneholes, and the diameter (and taper, if applicable) of the body.
Chifmunk

Post by Chifmunk »

Steve Bliven wrote: Don't mean to be rude, but the Blackbirds do have a cylindrical bore. At least the one in my hand does...
Steve
You're right! My mistake, so sorry. I should never describe whistles at home when I'm travelling. ;)
thx712517

Post by thx712517 »

So for Blackbird and/or Mellow Dog owners of recent vintage, are they cast fipples now or are they still tweaked with bits glued on?

As I play the Clarke Meg more, I dislike the rasp it tends to develop. I like the idea of the more mellow sounding tin whistle, but will the blackbird have less rasp?
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

thx712517 wrote:So for Blackbird and/or Mellow Dog owners of recent vintage, are they cast fipples now or are they still tweaked with bits glued on?
The ones I have from a couple of years back are tweaked. As far as I know, all of Jerry's whistles are tweaked. But the best source is Jerry himself. He posts here from time to time and can be reached via either PM or email.

Best wishes.

Steve
thx712517

Post by thx712517 »

Spoke with Jerry and got an amazingly detailed response on what goes into making his whistles. Now I just need to decide if the Blackbird or Mellow Dog is the one for me. I've listened to a number of recordings and am still on the fence. It seems like the Mellow Dog is just a little warmer in recordings, and has more of a hiss/breath undercurrent to its notes.

My first thought is to pick up a Blackbird, then save for a Dixon low D. But the other thought is to go Mellow Dog and try to get that flutey timbre from a high D since in my mind I'd play the high D more frequently than a low D. Silly I know, since we're talking about roughly $160 if I bought all three and I've spent $600 on a single guitar in the past.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

My suggestion would be to buy one of the high D whistles you mention and learn to play it. Then you can decide whether you like the sound of that whistle or not and whether you want to venture to a lower pitch. As you mention, these are pretty low on the price per instrument scale, but learning on one may give you insights on where you really want to go (flute, pipes, ukulele?).

Best wishes.

Steve
thx712517

Post by thx712517 »

Blackbird is on the way! Now I need to find more music to learn.