Bamboo flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Chino
antispam: No

Bamboo flute?

Post by Chino »

Hi blowers! :D

It's been a long time I didn't come here, I come back in the wind world after a string era, and I think about buying a bamboo flute. I look for the simplest stuff: a one piece bamboo flute, I like the idea to have a simple and "natural" instrument.

Concerning the key: D or Eb, or maybe E, tempered scale.

Reseaching, I came across those names:

- Patrick Olwell: As you know, Patrick Olwell doesnt make bamboo flutes anymore, he confirmed me this himself, but I'd love to have one of course.
- Barna Gabos (Marroncito): excellent reviews, I'm very intrigated. Love the look and it sounds good.
- Billy Miller
- Harsh Wardhan (Bansuri but possible with tempered scale 440 Hz)

Any advices about the playability, craftmanship etc? Thanks !

Oh, I forgot: I've NEVER played transverse flute ( :sniffle: :oops: ), only whistles, so I'd like an "easy" embouchure (I don't really know what I mean, but...)
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Bamboo flute?

Post by plunk111 »

Not sure why you're so set on bamboo... I would recommend a Tipple flute in your case (probably in D). Tipples are cylindrical, same as bamboo, and you won't have any cracking issues (common AFAIK on cheaper bamboo flutes) AND his flutes are (relatively speaking) quite cheap. Additionally, and I doubt this happens to many people, I developed what I assume was some sort of allergy to a bamboo flute that I owned for a while - I got what seemed to be a cold sore on my lower lip after playing. Took me a while to figure out the cause, actually. If you want to spend a bit more, take a look at all the threads here about delrin flutes (I own a Sommers and a Copley). Good luck in your search!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Billy Miller's bamboo flutes are , in my experience, very good. I believe Pat O recommended them
as a stand-in when he stopped making bamboo/cane flutes. I think bamboo is singularly expressive.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I had a Billy Miller bamboo F that was great.
Calum Stewart

Post by Calum Stewart »

Shout out for Gabos Barba. He's making great stuff right now from thick walled bamboo. Something between classic bamboo flute sound and wood. Stable as anything.
vermichou
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vermichou »

I'll second that. I own several bamboo and wooden flutes from Barna. Great chap, and fantastic instruments!
will marshall
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by will marshall »

And another unsolicited endorsement for Barna Gabos...
I got into bamboo flutes when I splashed out on a second-hand Olwell in F via the C & F forum. I liked the sound, the feel and for that matter the appearance so much that I looked around for current makers of top class bamboo flutes in other keys, came across Barna's website and ordered an E-flat.
It came quite promptly and I was really pleased with the way it played and the quality of the tuning and finish. So much so that I rapidly ordered a G flute from him. I am equally pleased with that. I’ve got a fair few flutes, but after diligently practising studies and scales on an eight-keyer, I find that I really look forward to finishing off the session by playing tunes on one of my burgeoning selection of bamboos. I like the way you can really lean into the sound, and the two flutes from Barna seem to have a very good dynamic range too.
I’ve just used the G flute in an early music gig and I reckon that these instrument are excellent for medieval dance music. Not very authentic, maybe, unless Marco Polo brought a load of bamboo flutes back with him, but the look and the sound of these well-made but elemental instruments makes them a good choice for early repertoire as well as the trad stuff.
Chino

Post by Chino »

Calum Stewart wrote:Shout out for Gabos Barba. He's making great stuff right now from thick walled bamboo. Something between classic bamboo flute sound and wood. Stable as anything.
Thanks Calum, and it's funny you replied to my topic: actually, I learnt about Barna Gabos bamboo flutes after watching one of your videos! :D

BTW, if you give individual flute lesson in Britanny, I can be interested! :P

Anyway, thanks for all your replies, greatly appreciated. :thumbsup: