Best wood for a mandolin for ITM that's also warm

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
MooglePower
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm an ITM enthusiast who has been learning instruments like the whistle and smallpipes. I've been playing various different musical instruments for years.

Best wood for a mandolin for ITM that's also warm

Post by MooglePower »

I'm having a mandolin custom built and I was wondering what you all think is the best wood for a mandolin to play ITM. I'm looking for something that's rather warm as well. I've heard that both cedar and redwood would work well, but I was wondering what everyone here thought. Thank you!
Thomaston

Re: Best wood for a mandolin for ITM that's also warm

Post by Thomaston »

Most mandolin use the maple/spruce combo. I've been seeing cedar used more and more in instruments for it's warmth. Redwood is a good choice, too. Back/side wood can make a difference, too. Choosing mahogany or walnut over maple will give a warmer tone.

I'm actually helping build my own custom mandolin right now, we're using bearclaw spruce for the top and cocobolo back and sides. Neck is maple. It's hopefully going to be a magnificent instrument.
Here's the photos. Still a lot of work left.
https://www.facebook.com/casey.thomasto ... e=3&__nodl
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Even Stefan Sobell eventually gave up using on WRC for mando/cittern tops. The sound was good, but the wood was hard to carve and prone to splitting over time. He eventually got fed up with the warranty claims and switched to red or sitka spruce. The back and sides have a lot less influence on sound. Any of maple, rosewood, or mahogany will do fine, IMO.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
MooglePower
Tell us something.: I'm an ITM enthusiast who has been learning instruments like the whistle and smallpipes. I've been playing various different musical instruments for years.

Post by MooglePower »

s1m0n wrote:Even Stefan Sobell eventually gave up using on WRC for mando/cittern tops.
Sorry, what's WRC?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

MooglePower wrote:
s1m0n wrote:Even Stefan Sobell eventually gave up using on WRC for mando/cittern tops.
Sorry, what's WRC?
Western Red cedar
http://www.wood-database.com/western-red-cedar/

Sitka Spruce would probably be a good choice. However, as you are going custom-built, I'd consider any recommendations by your luthier-of-choice to achieve your requirements based on their experience and wood locker.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

MooglePower wrote:
Sorry, what's WRC?
Western red cedar. Redwood wasn't a lot different, IIRC.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

kkrell wrote:However, as you are going custom-built, I'd consider any recommendations by your luthier-of-choice to achieve your requirements based on their experience and wood locker.
Yes. More important than any quality of the wood is your luthier's understanding of how to get the best from that species. Any quality tonewood can sound like whatever you want, if your luthier has the skill and knows what you're after. Asking a good luthier to take a stab at an unfamiliar wood because of what some guy said about it on the internets is a crapshoot. The best you're likely to achieve is an instrument that's only a little worse than his usual fare.

C.S. Lewis
Mike Floorstand
Tell us something.: Just editing my chiff profile. Apparently I need to enter 100 characters. Is this enough? Ok maybe a few more sentences. Ideally about mandolins and guitars and abanjos.

Post by Mike Floorstand »

I've played a few spruce-topped mandolins but only a couple of cedar-topped, but based on that unscientific sample I do prefer cedar. Here's a video of me playing spruce followed by cedar a few years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTCPlDWFgXQ

To be fair the spruce topped was a very new instrument (which for spruce often translates to a brasher sound) whereas the cedar a year or so old so a bit more broken in, but I think the sound difference is still valid.

I think the main drawback of cedar is it's more easily marked, easy to rest a plectrum or fingernail a bit too firmly and end up with a small ding. If you like your instruments to remain pristine then spruce may be a better bet.
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Frank sings but Walt Disney.
Mike Floorstand's Website
nicx66
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

Post by nicx66 »

I know commercial names for wood can differ from scientific names when it comes to cedar. Mainly, eastern red cedar, which is actually a type of Juniper species. This can lead to a bit of confusion, especially on the internet.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

None of the new world cedars are related to the 'true' old-world cedars - (ie, Cedrus - Cedar of Lebanon, Atlas Cedar, Deodar Cedar, etc.), and they're not all related to each other, either.

C.S. Lewis
maestrosid

Post by maestrosid »

This would be an excellent conversation to have with your luthier. If you trust them enough to have them make your instrument, you should have confidence in their ability to achieve the tone you want. Most of the tone is dependent on their work. What have they suggested?
yankees1
Tell us something.: Just bought a Milligan D whistle. I am new to tin whistles and will need help ! I don't understand why each whistle is in a different key and how a D whistle can play a song in G major ! Which whistle will play a song in A major ? Most songs i will play will be in D, G or A

Post by yankees1 »

First post ! I would use an Engelmann spruce top on an oval mandolin which I have ! The strings you choose will also play a very important part. Go to mandolincafe.com and type in strings for warm tone in the search and you will view opinions. Monel strings or flatwound may be a good choice but I'm sure there are others.