Time is running out on Hand Forged Keys

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Time is running out on Hand Forged Keys

Post by Casey Burns »

Hi Everyone!

Am making some hard decisions. I need the time to make up my "retirement inventory" of Folk Flutes to sell into my 80s. In the meantime my hands are wearing out some and I want to save them for music making and some instrument making. Thus I am beginning a process of incremental retirement. After Jan 1, 2018 I will no longer be taking orders for flutes with keys, as well as key retrofits on my existing flutes. This would be with my hand forged keys which I charge at $450 per key.

I will be looking into cast key work perhaps. But don't hold your breath as I have other things that are more useful to me to investigate for my core keyless flutes. Also I will probably make the occasional keyed flute - but fancy up these in all sorts of ways to explore techniques so these wouldn't be cheap. And you won't be able to order them.

It won't make that big of a change - but enough for me. I will probably stop taking orders for all flutes except Folk Flutes when I turn 65 in late 2020, or whenever this retirement inventory is finished. I will still have Folk Flutes to sell for long after that - though with fewer customization options (I offer that on a few of these).

Enjoy the rest of the Summer. And if you are in Houston, I hope you are safely ensconced!!!

Casey
psychodonald
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Re: Time is running out on Hand Forged Keys

Post by psychodonald »

Gosh Casey, those are some really difficult decisions. I certainly can appreciate your situation, you have been such a great craftsman of fine instruments. Unfortunately, all great things must come to an end. For the foreseeable future, do you feel as though you will be able to make repairs to existing keyed flutes, in the event that something happens and requires repair, heaven forbid? Thanks, Don.
Casey Burns
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Casey Burns »

Certainly. Its just the manufacture and fitting of new keys that I am ending. Arthritis in my hands is the cause.

Casey
Geoffrey Ellis
Tell us something.: Crafting fine quality folk flutes from around the world since 1997, my goal is to create beautiful instruments that have the best possible voice, tuning and response by mixing modern methods with traditional designs.

Post by Geoffrey Ellis »

Casey Burns wrote:Certainly. Its just the manufacture and fitting of new keys that I am ending. Arthritis in my hands is the cause.

Casey

I can feel the stirrings of that in my own hands--not uncommon for artisans who have to work everyday with the ol' digits. I think your idea of stockpiling some flutes for retirement is a damn good idea--one that I've considered in the abstract but haven't actually put into practice yet. It wouldn't be too difficult to sock away a few extra flutes each month for the proverbial rainy day.
kmag
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Post by kmag »

I can fully sympathize with you and your hand problems. I was a medium voltage (480-25KV) splicer and the work took its toll on me as well but my problem was tendonitis in my wrists. I could have worked more but it would have impacted greatly what I wanted to do my retirement, play music. I am glad you have an exit strategy!