low whistle in G

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Herbert Labrador
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I forgot my password even by daily visit to ch&fi I do not post that often. I got an old Hawes- flute from that forum repaired by a member and will try to send the former ownwer some new photos, so I ought to be logged in, isn't it.

low whistle in G

Post by Herbert Labrador »

Hi whistlers,
I am from Wooden Irish Flute.
When learning new tunes from written scores, I take a tin-whistle, testing how it sounds. A whistle is much easier when trying timdly then a flute., also always ready to be taken and be played. Same fingering additionally.

But high d whistle is far away from sounding like flute in low D.
How about a whistle in low G?
Any advices, experiences , best whistles, easy to play, balanced in both octaves ?

greetings, Herbert
ericgrey

Re: low whistle in G

Post by ericgrey »

If by low G, you mean alto G, I can highly recommend ,wooden whistles by Roy McManus
Here is an example of his alto G........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DZ_edo_eXU

Easily played, well balanced in volume and octave ranges.
There are of course cheaper alternatives.like Dixon,Chieftain,Susato etc,etc,
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

Herbert Labrador wrote:How about a whistle in low G?
Any advices, experiences , best whistles, easy to play, balanced in both octaves ?
I actually rather favour an old Barnett and Saumuelson in G.
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Herbert Labrador wrote: I am from Wooden Irish Flute...high d whistle is far away from sounding like flute in low D.
How about a whistle in low G?
I've heard many people say that their favourite size of whistle is that middle ground between high D and low D, whistles in F, G, and A.
Herbert Labrador wrote: Any advices, experiences , best whistles, easy to play, balanced in both octaves ?
I come from flute also, I played flute for over 35 years before switching to whistle. No whistle can be as balanced between the octaves as a fluteplayer can make a flute. Because on the whistle each note only plays at the correct pitch at one specific level of breath support, and the note's volume at that level of breath support is fixed and can't be changed by the player.

All whistles have a volume dichotomy between the octaves, though it of course varies from maker to maker.

You might want to try a Michael Burke whistle in F or G. All Burkes have very smooth voicing, great intonation, and a full solid low range. The high range is a bit stiff, yes. In my experience people who come to whistle from non-ITM instruments love Burkes.

ITM people usually prefer whistles by Colin Goldie (right there in Germany) and most professionals will be playing Goldies or vintage Overtons.

You might want to try an MK whistle in low F. MKs are unique in multiple ways.

If you were to have the opportunity to play, side by side, Low F whistles by Goldie, Burke, and MK you would be amazed at how differently the three play. The only way to find out what suits you personally is to try them.

Good luck in whistling!

PS people have called the G a "mezzo" whistle because whistles are also made in Bass G.

I don't have one of those, but I have a Bass A whistle by Alba Whistles, Scotland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJm6BQ-Qxcg

(Boy my accent is a mess. I should just make up an accent and stick with it.)

PPS I've yet to play a wooden whistle that I like.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

If by any chance you can find a Water Weasel G, by the late great Glenn Schultz, get it. It's made from a piece of humble PVC pipe, but mine is one of the very best whistles I've ever played, any key, any material, any price.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

brewerpaul wrote:If by any chance you can find a Water Weasel G, by the late great Glenn Schultz, get it. It's made from a piece of humble PVC pipe, but mine is one of the very best whistles I've ever played, any key, any material, any price.
I'd second the recommendation for a Water Weasel G, and add one for a Pat O'Riordan G too, but -- is there really any chance of coming by either for an affordable price these days?

When I was out visiting friends last fall, I got to try (I think) alto Gs by Jerry Freeman and Gary Humphrey, and both were terrific whistles. As far as I know they'd both be readily available these days. (I definitely tried whistles in that range by both makers, but it's possible one was an A or an F ... details are a little fuzzy.)

(And oh no, I looked at Humphrey's page, and now I have a sudden desire to get whistles in the three keys I'm currently lacking: F#, G#, and C#.)

(Also, as long as I'm adding off-topic parentheticals, the Water Weasel alto G is a nice whistle, but the A and especially Bb above it are Glenn's best PVC whistles, IMO.)
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

brewerpaul wrote:If by any chance you can find a Water Weasel G, by the late great Glenn Schultz, get it. It's made from a piece of humble PVC pipe, but mine is one of the very best whistles I've ever played, any key, any material, any price.
What diameter PVC did he use? (We can't match the rest of the magic, but at least we can get the diameter right.)
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Looks like about 22mm diameter, with the wall about 2mm thick. So about 7/8".

On this chart, it seems to match up very well with the .875" (22.22mm) one.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Chino

Post by Chino »

colomon wrote:alto Gs by Jerry Freeman
:o

I just discovered Jerry made low G whistles! :oops: Back in 2010, I bought a brass A (and a Bb) directly from Jerry, but I didn't know he made G!

Well actually, doing some researchs, it seems Jerry made G whistles since 2012! :boggle:

Considering the price and the quality of the Jerry's whistles, I would definitely think about buying a Freeman G.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I do believe the Freeman "mezzo" A and G whistles are stretched Generation A whistles.

I have both a Freeman and a self-made Generation mezzo A, both play well.

I've not played the Freeman mezzo G but the tubing is getting rather narrow for pitch.

About Glen Schultz, I've played around 20 or 30 of his whistles over the years (mostly wood, a couple plastic) and I found the wooden ones to be all over the map.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
O'Briant

Post by O'Briant »

Another plug for jerry -- the freeman g and a are some of my favorite whistles. These are tweaked gen B heads on piping of jerry's own make, and are a pleasure to play and sound lovely. Also recommend the alba g -- takes a little more air in the upper register but has a deep, rich sound and is louder than the freemans.
"Every ass likes to hear itself bray." Mark Twan