Bracker chromatic vs modal

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
flyingowl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love the sound of the tin whistle. I play chromatic harmonica and would like to learn the whistle and explore its repertoire. I'm also interested in the chromatic whistles being produced now and getting tips on how to handle them for jazz, eastern european and middle eastern music.

Bracker chromatic vs modal

Post by flyingowl »

Does anyone have experience with both the Hans Bracker Chromatic and Modal whistles? Both seem fully chromatic according to his fingering charts, with some differences in patterns. I'm looking to use the whistle for jazz but also for Eastern European. Can the modal be used as a full-service chromatic or are there advantages to the chromatic? Thanks for your help!
de Salier
Tell us something.: I do indeed love whistles, mostly the ones with six holes. And this forum is all about them, small ones, big ones, normal ones, strange ones...

Re: Bracker chromatic vs modal

Post by de Salier »

I have been trying to get in touch with him about these whistles, but sadly never got a response :sniffle:
Tried both via website and email address

Would love to get my hands on a multi modal whistle in Bb
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield
flyingowl
Tell us something.: I love the sound of the tin whistle. I play chromatic harmonica and would like to learn the whistle and explore its repertoire. I'm also interested in the chromatic whistles being produced now and getting tips on how to handle them for jazz, eastern european and middle eastern music.

Post by flyingowl »

I've had the same experience. Perhaps Mr. Bracker is on summer vacation. Does anyone have any advice on how to contact him more effectively? Thanks!
de Salier
Tell us something.: I do indeed love whistles, mostly the ones with six holes. And this forum is all about them, small ones, big ones, normal ones, strange ones...

Post by de Salier »

Does anyone have an alternative means of contacting Hans other then the email address or form on his website?
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

You could try a PM to him here, ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=1643. He hasn't posted much in the past year, but he was on as recently as a couple of weeks ago.
flyingowl

Post by flyingowl »

Wonderful. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Dog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Old Dog »

If you want a chromatic whistle, try Musiquemorneau.com , he has them. Expensive, but excellent. Also go to eBay and look up a Ukrainian "sopilka chromatic prima soprano concert recorder #6" (actually a whistle) .Sold by volkovroman75. They're nice, too and a lot more reasonable in price.
de Salier

Post by de Salier »

Old Dog wrote:If you want a chromatic whistle, try Musiquemorneau.com , he has them. Expensive, but excellent. Also go to eBay and look up a Ukrainian "sopilka chromatic prima soprano concert recorder #6" (actually a whistle) .Sold by volkovroman75. They're nice, too and a lot more reasonable in price.
This looks very interesting.
But why do you call it „actually a whistle“?

Edit: and do you specifically recommend no.6? Or is this just random? As the others look very nice too
Old Dog

Post by Old Dog »

I called it a whistle rather than a recorder because the left thumb hole is for the Bb, not to get to the higher octave like a recorder. It has two thumb holes: the left thumb for Bb and the right thumb for D#. I don't have the No. 6 whistle shown, but I do have a different one in D and I like it. I just bought another one in C, but don't have it yet. I'm not a professional or even very good, so please don't ask
any detailed questions. I just like it.

I should have added that the two holes for the little fingers are for the C# (right-hand) and F# (left-hand). On a recorder the right hand little finger hole is for D.
flyingowl

Post by flyingowl »

Thanks for the suggestion regarding Sopilkas, Old Dog. Is yours tuned to A=440?
Old Dog

Post by Old Dog »

Darned if I know. It would be best if you contacted the seller and asked him.
de Salier

Post by de Salier »

flyingowl wrote:Thanks for the suggestion regarding Sopilkas, Old Dog. Is yours tuned to A=440?
I ordered one in D, bit on one of his videos I saw A448. Will report as soon as it arrives