Ringing Chanter Sound

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
paintedgreen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing uilleann pipes for a couple of years and I think this forum is a great learning resource.

Ringing Chanter Sound

Post by paintedgreen »

I just picked up a new reed after my last one kicked it a few weeks ago. This one is pretty much perfect, except it has this strange ringing/fast vibrato sound on every note besides the D's. It's driving me insane. I contacted the maker and it seems like it's probably a bridle problem or something since the problem exists in both octaves. I was wondering if anyone had ever had something similar?

Thanks!
bensdad

Re: Ringing Chanter Sound

Post by bensdad »

If it's a loose bridle try a little lump of blue-tac or similar to gum the bridle to the cane.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

You may have developed tinnitus or you could have a waxy build up in your lateral head holes causing a sympathetic vibration of the wax at certain frequencies.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Flutulator
Tell us something.: Here for a bit to get info on adding another keyed lefty flute to my instrument collection. Preferably something from a highly respected maker. Been playing since 2006.

Post by Flutulator »

paintedgreen wrote:I just picked up a new reed after my last one kicked it a few weeks ago. This one is pretty much perfect, except it has this strange ringing/fast vibrato sound on every note besides the D's. It's driving me insane. I contacted the maker and it seems like it's probably a bridle problem or something since the problem exists in both octaves. I was wondering if anyone had ever had something similar?

Thanks!
Check your playing environment too. Are you using any fans that are not normally present? They can often cause weird interference with musical instruments. Seriously.
My name is John. It is NOT "OP." :) :)
paintedgreen
Tell us something.: I've been playing uilleann pipes for a couple of years and I think this forum is a great learning resource.

Post by paintedgreen »

Thanks everyone. My ceiling fan was on high and turning it off solved the problem. I never would have even thought of that!
Aldwyn
Tell us something.: I am haunted by Uilleann Pipes. Been so for years. I have an Irish background and have played Trad on guitar in a duet long ago. Just started on the UPs in Feb of 2017!

Post by Aldwyn »

Holy crap, Flutulator! I would have never thought about that, either! Crazy that a ceiling fan can cause such havoc with a chanter!

Good on you for the suggestion!
Kirk Lynch half set
Guitars, Ukes, whistles, misc percussion
Pocket lint
Flutulator
Tell us something.: Here for a bit to get info on adding another keyed lefty flute to my instrument collection. Preferably something from a highly respected maker. Been playing since 2006.

Post by Flutulator »

paintedgreen wrote:Thanks everyone. My ceiling fan was on high and turning it off solved the problem. I never would have even thought of that!

Decades ago I bought a Rickenbacker 330 electric guitar. I spent three days messing with the setup, the strings, etc etc etc. to remove an odd ringing. In frustration, I moved into a different room of the house. Problem solved.

Glad it worked!
My name is John. It is NOT "OP." :) :)
donpiper

Post by donpiper »

greetings all,

a session I used to frequent some years ago had a long table with a
ceiling fan about 1/3 the way along.
It drove every piper or flute player that sat under it nuts when it was turning,
did not bother guitarists or bodhran players though.