A Copeland? Another mystery low d whistle please?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mikethebook
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

A Copeland? Another mystery low d whistle please?

Post by Mikethebook »

This unidentified low D whistle just appeared on eBay and leaves me perplexed but interested. Obviously Copeland comes to mind but unless I'm mistaken I don't think this is one.

Last edited by Mikethebook on Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rhulsey

Re: Another mystery low d whistle please?

Post by rhulsey »

Its 'box beard' and ears (in pipe organ terms) are certainly Copeland-ish, and from that photo it even looks tapered. I'll be interested to hear if anyone recognizes it.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
RLindner
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for 2 years now and I'm always looking for new instruments.

Cheers and greetings from Germany

Re: Another mystery low d whistle please?

Post by RLindner »

Appears to be from this source and not available anymore. Either really a Copeland? or any kind of Howard prototype.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Irish-folk-Wh ... yTc1w68k7g
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Re: A Copeland? Another mystery low d whistle please?

Post by Mikethebook »

It's not available anymore because I bought it on the off chance . . . Besides which I always fancied trying a Copeland Low D or one like it.

If nobody can identify it, does anyone know Michael Copeland's e-mail address by chance?
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Nice find Mike, hope it works ok for you. I bought a G whistle from the same seller.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

Mikethebook wrote:It's not available anymore because I bought it on the off chance . . . Besides which I always fancied trying a Copeland Low D or one like it.

If nobody can identify it, does anyone know Michael Copeland's e-mail address by chance?
Nice find! The wheelbarrow doesn't look like Mr Copeland's (the ones I've seen or the one I have), but that doesn't mean it's not. Whether it is or not, I hope it plays well for you and that you enjoy it much!

Would it be possible to take some better, clearer pictures of it, once you get it?
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Thanks for your replies. I will take some better photos when I get it.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Michael Copeland is on Facebook.
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Of course!!! Thanks.
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

That whistle does have the look of a Copeland, but I 'beard and ears' look different. I have a brass low D (3834) and they are lower, longer and have a more rounded look.

There is a very 'cursive' 'D' on the audience-facing side of the tuning slide and a serial n umber underneath. It has no marking resembling the round one in the pictures. Mind you I cannot prove mine is a genuine one - though it does look exactly like my silver one.

Yours could be a model from a different era - I seem to remember design changes being discussed on this forum. I will post pics later if it would be helpful.

Phill
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Thanks for your input, DrPhill. By all means post pictures, please. That might prove helpful.
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Drat - I have the images but forgot that this site does not host images. I need to look at other options.

Might be a while.......
Phill

whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Nice find! It is possibly one of the prototype Copeland copies made by his apprentice....I don't remember the logo or the black mouth piece but that looks like tape. Seems like only Dale Wisely and I have played one of these copies.....there is a thread somewhere on the topic but my computer skills are a little limited....if it is one of those, congrats because they are excellent players....both Dale and I agreed that they are better players than the Copelands...time will tell once you receive it. Good luck!!
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Remembered the password to my own webspace......

Phill

Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Thanks for the photos DrPhill. Very helpful.

whistle1000, I managed to find the threads you were talking about and they were a mine of information. Thank you. I sent messages to Michael Copeland and Jim Rementer (his business partner) on Facebook and would love to contact John Bishop (an apprentice) if I could. Can't think who else to try.

It is black tape on the fipple. Why it's there I don't know but my thought is the last owner preferred not to put brass in his mouth. I will make a decision whether to risk removing it when it's arrived. My other concern/query will be how to clean both the outside and inside (before playing it) never having dealt with brass before. I'm used to a medium blowing Goldie (lots of backpressure) so I think I will find this somewhat alien and heavy on the air but I'm curious how it plays and sounds. The weight of it may be an issue but we'll see. Looking forward to it.

I'll submit better photos when it arrives.