Top-end Flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
hpinson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Top-end Flutes?

Post by hpinson »

A keyed Olwell just came up for sale in the US, for 8K plus.

Who do people consider are contemporary flutemakers who produce work of similar quality, but at a more reasonable price?
jemtheflute

Re: Top-end Flutes?

Post by jemtheflute »

Morvan in Britanny is making fabulous flutes these days.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Uni Flute

Post by Uni Flute »

I agree Stephane Morvan is one of the leading makers of today, along with; Patrick Olwell, Michael Grinter and Chris Wilkes.

Out of interest hpinson, where did you see this Olwell advertised?
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Olwell's flutes FOB are not as expensive...

Post by Julia Delaney »

In defense of Olwell, he does not charge more for his flutes than other makers charge for their flutes. In fact Olwell often charges less for his work, though there is often a wait for the flute. This is also the case with such other esteemed makers as Chris Wilkes, Geoff Woof, and Colin Dipper. The instrument is worth waiting for. But if you can't wait, and decide to pay more on the secondary market to avoid the wait, then the premium goes to the seller and not to the maker.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Uni Flute wrote:Out of interest hpinson, where did you see this Olwell advertised?
BTW, there's a 6-key blackwood Olwell at the Irish Flute store for $8,500.
hpinson

Post by hpinson »

Not knocking Olwell Julia Delaney - just that they are rather difficult to acquire with a long wait, and come at a premium from third parties. Interested what the 2017 alternatives are if you want a top notch flute.

Maybe I should check what the wait is. I had assumed years - or books closed to new orders.

Yes - it is at Blayne's Irish Flute Shop. It just came for sale yesterday, July 14, 2017.
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I highly recommend John Gallagher's flutes - I own one and know John personally and can guarantee that his flutes are just as good (if not better than) ANY of the top makers!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

Another alternative is to buy a Victorian simple system flute such as a Rudall & Rose, Rudall Carte, Wylde, Hawkes, etc., and have it serviced by a professional, new pads, key springs if needed. Much cheaper to buy these days than a keyed Olwell, Wilkes etc. A good simple system Rudall for example, in tune with itself at A=440, is as good as it gets. Can be accquired for £900-£2500 ($1200-$3300) (€1000-€2900).

During Willie Week Jon Dodd, Miltown Malbay, serviced two R&R flutes for me, new pads, two new key springs, new cork, crack in one head joint stabilised. Jon takes €275 (two flutes) for this and did a top notch job. The two flutes are now like new, so easy to play, in tune, strong bottom D. I'm over the moon. I strongly recommend Rudall & Rose, Rudall Carte flutes
Uni Flute

Post by Uni Flute »

I am with Steampacket on this one, when it comes to value for money, antique eight key flutes are the absolute best value.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

plunk111 wrote:I highly recommend John Gallagher's flutes - I own one and know John personally and can guarantee that his flutes are just as good (if not better than) ANY of the top makers!

Pat
I'd have to agree with this 100% (although I don't know John as well as Pat having only met him in the flesh once a few months ago). Although there are plenty of fine makers on this thread; it really comes down to personal preference, I've never played an Olwell I liked as much as my flute from John but people who own Olwells haven't always been that fond of my flute when they have tried it.

(FWIW all of the D and Eb flute recordings in my signature links are on my flute [set] from John if you want to hear one in action. [Except the youtube playlist with videos of me posted by others some of those, anything pre-'11, are on the Martin Doyle I used to have])
sligofluter

Post by sligofluter »

jemtheflute wrote:Morvan in Britanny is making fabulous flutes these days.

True, but my experience was much better with the Morvan Pratten model than the Rudall.

By other hand not all the Olwell´s are the same for me.
Our irish music blog in Spanish: https://theirishflow.com/
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Should get in a word for Bryan Byrne in VT, USA for consideration.

And where would folks put Peter Noy in the heirarchy?

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Steve Bliven wrote:And where would folks put Peter Noy in the heirarchy?
Well, I'm a total fan of Noy myself, but the OP asked for top-end sticks at lower prices, so I didn't say anything. Noy runs high. You know the saying: "You wand it good, fast, and cheap? Pick two." Noy's good, and he's fast, and that plus the quality of his work and materials is where a lot of the cost comes in. Still and all, if you're in a hurry and have the funds, I'd otherwise wholeheartedly recommend him. It should be pointed out that he works more along the lines of following historic examples than his own designs, because he caters largely to those who specialize in historically informed performance.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Nanohedron wrote: Well, I'm a total fan of Noy myself, but the OP asked for top-end sticks at lower prices, so I didn't say anything. Noy runs high. You know the saying: "You wand it good, fast, and cheap? Pick two." Noy's good, and he's fast, and that plus the quality of his work and materials is where a lot of the cost comes in. Still and all, if you're in a hurry and have the funds, I'd otherwise wholeheartedly recommend him. It should be pointed out that he works more along the lines of following historic examples than his own designs, because he caters largely to those who specialize in historically informed performance.
My two Noy flutes took 18 and 24 months (he was spot on with delivery time for both).

I love his small-holed Irish flute. It has a really flexible sound and is fully chromatic with one key.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

You could add Hamilton and Windward to that list, no?
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia