Hall Crystal Flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
musicaddict99
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in Irish music. I mostly play tin whistle but also dabble in other folk instruments.

Hall Crystal Flutes

Post by musicaddict99 »

Hi,

I have been playing cheap or junkie flutes until now, and I wanted to perhaps try out a flute that wasn't junk
so I could differentiate between my own failings as a player and those failing of the flute.

I like the look of Hall Crystal Flutes, though I have heard else where that they are hard to play. I
did a search on the forums here, and I get the impression that these flutes have improved over the years.

I can more easily (and affordably) get my hands on Hall Crystal flute than a Sweet Shannon or a
Casey Burns beginner flute, so I wanted to ask, would a glass flute be a step up from the ebay
flutes I have been trying to play and modify until now? I was thinking of a low D flute, or perhaps
a E flat (if that would suit my hands size better).
marshwren
Tell us something.: I [try to] play Irish traditional music on the flute. Other activities include bicycling, knitting, walking, cartoon watching, novel reading, and language learning.

Re: Hall Crystal Flutes

Post by marshwren »

My friend, I think it all depends on your goals. If you want to faff around with a transverse flute-- which I for one think is a perfectly legitimate goal!-- and you want to do so in a hurry, by all means go for the Hall. That being said, there are better options for doing that-- a Tipple in F or even G if you're really concerned about the stretch and you don't plan on heavy sessioning (which an Eb would also preclude-- there are certainly Eb sessions around, but at least some of them are in Eb to keep riffraff like us out! Even if that's not the intention they are generally Adult Swims.) or maybe one of Billy Miller's bamboos, again in a smaller size, would be probably do the trick. But I implore you, get something that is made by someone who cares. A real instrument.

On the other hand, if you want to play irish traditional music on the flute, save up. See if you can borrow someone else's. Get the sweet or another lower cost model. Your hands may yet surprise you with what they can manage. And as you have been told several times, you can sell the thing if it doesn't work out. Patience. Patience is the key. And the wait an actual instrument will only be longer if you fall for the temptation of immediate gratification.

However you go, good luck. And probably don't get the hall.

[edited repeatedly for clarity!]
marshwren
Tell us something.: I [try to] play Irish traditional music on the flute. Other activities include bicycling, knitting, walking, cartoon watching, novel reading, and language learning.

Post by marshwren »

Ha I will not edit my post again, but I'd like to make it clear that I am not saying you can't play trad on a tipple or another well-made flute of the like, and I'm given to understand they been used to great effect by lots of players. But OP is very worried about hand span and so on, and I'm also under the impression that for a D flute the Tipple is going to take a bit of a stretch. But! The point is get a good instrument. The Hall-- I'm sure Mr. Hall cares. But I'm not crazy about the sound, and even if they've improved, I really don't think you're going to dispel that is it me or the flute.

And also, for background, when I became obsessed w the flute I was /broke/. I got ahold of a tin whistle and just buying that was a /thing/. The flute I started on came to me by complete and utter kismet, and the one I play now I paid for with crumpled dollar bills I shoved into a coffee can over a long winter. So I get it. But if you care about this, be patient. That is the key.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

If you are going to play a flute it will be unknown to you and probably not be
quite what you expect. Under this circumstance, you might as well choose the
unknown flute that will actually play well. We've told you which they are and
a lot of us know these flutes personally and have been playing flute for many years.
I hope you won't set up a frustrating experience and decide you're no good
at flute. Good luck with it!
Scouter
Tell us something.: I am a musician and love folk instruments. I am learning about penny whistles and Irish flutes. I play many instruments but one of my main instruments for many years has been oboe. This makes learning the whistle and flute rather easy. Now to learn about best practices for the genre.

Post by Scouter »

Hi, I bought a Hall flute because I thought it was pretty. I can play it but I must use my pinky for the lowest D hole. The stretch is pretty wide. I also have a Tipple and a Somers Rudall. The Tipple is the easiest as far as the reach goes. If I had it to do over again, I would not have bought the Hall. Go with the Tipple if you need an inexpensive flute.

Scouter
musicaddict99
Tell us something.: I am interested in Irish music. I mostly play tin whistle but also dabble in other folk instruments.

Post by musicaddict99 »

I will buy a Tipple soon then.
gariwerd

Post by gariwerd »

I have both a hall and a tipple flute. You can get a good sound out of both of them.
sjpete

Post by sjpete »

I don't know - if you are trying to get away from cheap flutes in order to know if the failings are the flute or the player, I am not sure if either of these is a good option. I am a recovering Boehm player, and started on a Tipple to get something a bit more traditional - it's possible to get a decent sound out of it (they are well made for what they are), but they are a handful and not on par with some of the well-priced conical flutes in tone, tuning or playability. The Hall is a disaster if you want to play with others - at least you can tune a Tipple to a degree. I quickly moved to a Forbes, and now have a Baubet - neither of these is considered a top tier flute maker, but I am confident that whatever limitations the flutes might present pale in comparison to the limitations I bring to them.

There was just a used Casey Burns folk flute that went on this forum for a steal, and there are often decent prices on used delrin Copleys, Forbes, M&E, etc. These are all decent flutes that would last you a long time. If you don't want to spend $700+ for a keyless flute, at least spend $2-300 and get something that will allow you to grow, not limit you. Be a little patient and watch the forum, and you'll likely be much happier.
Spielorjh
Tell us something.: I play whistle and want to talk to others who do also. I need to pad this out to 100 characters. 100 characters is longer than it seems to be when one is typing. Perhaps I'll overshoot.

Post by Spielorjh »

sjpete wrote:There was just a used Casey Burns folk flute that went on this forum for a steal...
As I got mine for a similar (I think?) price to the Steal referenced above, I second the recommendation. I'm primarily a whistle player and I took to the Folk Flute quite well IMNERHO with no previous flute experience.

By instinct I play the right hand with the middle pads of my right hand, so the stretch isn't bad.
JCortese
Tell us something.: I got interested in flutes because I already play piano and harp and am interested in instruments that aren't also furniture, and that you can get onto an airplane without getting into a fight with the gate agent.

Post by JCortese »

Similar experience to everyone else -- bought a Hall to have something to noodle on, then got myself a Tipple D. (I now have two others.) The Tipple D was a bit of a stretch on my bottom hand although I have fairly large piano hands.

The Hall has never been manageable, and I regret getting it although it is pretty. It is a G, so it wasn't an issue with the reach (although the bottom hole is annoyingly low). It's just a bear to get a good sound out of.

If you want a surprisingly good-sounding bargain and have good-sized hands, try the Tipple. Otherwise, save up for a good used keyless. They pop up from time to time on the board.
--
Home flute: 6-key Copley & Boegli Delrin D
https://accidentalflutist.wordpress.com/
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

I like this crystal flute better...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Peter Otto
Tell us something.: Hi, I started having a go at playing the flute a few weeks ago and I noticed your forum is the place to be for finding information.

Post by Peter Otto »

A little bit more expensive though....

I've seen the Laurent flutes auctioned for 15.000 eur and more :D

kr,
Peter
rickl@montana.edu
Tell us something.: I play a variety of world flutes and have recently begun learning Irish flute. I recently purchased a Paddy Ward delrin flute.

Post by rickl@montana.edu »

I got a Hall first, pretty much for the same reason you are talking about. I was able to play it right away and enjoyed the tone and experience (I used the pinky approach, too, and my hands are moderately large), but quickly realized that the tone, to my mind, was soft and it wasn't very responsive.

A few months later I got a Paddy Ward delrin flute, and have barely picked up the Hall since (maybe twice). When I do, just for the heck of it, I realize that it is nothing close to playing an Irish flute. It is pretty, though.