Difference between small and standard bore on Goldie whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Ketil
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Difference between small and standard bore on Goldie whistle

Post by Ketil »

Hi.
Anyone with experience or knowledge about the difference between small and standard bore on low whistles. I am considering a low E and Colin Goldie offers both altenatives.
Ketil
I.D.10-t

Re: Difference between small and standard bore on Goldie whi

Post by I.D.10-t »

In general large bores favors the lower octave. I have no idea how the small bore's low D sounds power wise, but I'm sure it is fine if a respected maker lets it out his door.

One thing I do wonder about is pitch. I have 2 whistles an Oak and a Trad. The Oak is narrow and tuning is flexible, the Dixon Trad is rigid and reliable. I an sure it is a difference in makers, but I wonder if that makes a difference.

You can disregard most of this because I know little about the whistle, I just play it to relax.

Ask for a sound file ask the maker for what they think. It probably will produce more fruit than here.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Mr.Nate
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mr.Nate »

I few years ago I bought a Goldie narrow bore G from Colin. Unfortunately I haven't played a regular bore G so I couldn't give you a comparison.

My impressions about the narrow bore G were that the lower notes sounded fine but they were a little touchy on the breath pressure to get the notes to play. The finger spread on a narrow bore whistle is a little wider than it's larger bore counterpart.

At the same time I bought a Goldie regular bore F that I liked more than the narrow bore G. The hole spacing was similar but the notes were easier to voice and I didn't have as much trouble with clogging.

Not much to go on. I think you would have to try a regular and narrow bore side by side to really know which one you prefer. Also, Goldie's vary a bit from instrument to instrument because of the different variations that Collin makes. They all play and sound a bit different.
Whistling in the Rockies!!
joshuaZ
Tell us something.: I am interested in low and high whistles of all keys - and how to adjust them!
Built my own whistle body a while ago and am wondering what is the easiest way to built a mouthpiece.

Post by joshuaZ »

I have a regular bore Eb and a narrow bore E and much prefer the way the narrow bore E plays.

The narrow bore refers to the bore being optimal for the key of F (same diameter as regular bore F), and is narrower compared to that of regular bore D.

It seems to be a big coincidence that the key of F seems to have the best whistles in terms of sound and playability amongst different makers - e.g. Goldie, MK, Alba...

There is a drive in the market to have a strong bell note in the low D, as a result the bore size of low Ds are a little on the wide side. If this (already wide) bore is used for key of E, the result will be quite a stiff second octave. (I have one from one of those E Eb D sets.)
Ketil

Post by Ketil »

Thank you for the replys. Seems that not too many has experience with the difference from the response. I have decided to go with a standard bore, medium low E because I want it to play as similiar to my low D as possible. Makes the switch between them easier, I think. Colin Goldie also said he makes much fewer narrow bore whistles than standard and I guess there's a reason for that. Anyway, it's a Goldie whistle so I know it will be a killer whistle.