WD Sweet Shannon comparison?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
davidbruce
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am looking for a delrin flute, Rudall and Rose design, small holes. Hope someone from this site can help me.

WD Sweet Shannon comparison?

Post by davidbruce »

Walt Sweet posted

"The biggest hole on the SHANNON is the F# (hole #5 for right middle). The diameter is 0.35" = 8.9mm . That's bigger than on some other flutes, and it gives a truer pitch. I think my holes in general are bigger than those on a Rudall, but not as big as Pratten. If you want to place SHANNON in the Rudall/Pratten spectrum, you'd probably have to ask the folks out there who have all three for comparison."

I am hoping to find a flute that has fairly small holes, and does not take too much air, fairly quiet/mellow. The Shannon flute gets some very good reviews. As Walt suggested on his post, I would be eager to hear some comments on Walt Sweet's Shannon, and how it compares to a Rudall and Rose design.

Thanks
David Bruce
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Re: WD Sweet Shannon comparison?

Post by Steve Bliven »

At a price of $275, you might consider purchasing one. If it doesn't work for you after a reasonable trial, I'm pretty sure you could sell it on without much financial loss.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: WD Sweet Shannon comparison?

Post by Sillydill »

Hey David,

I have owned hundreds of simple system flutes and can honestly say the best one is "Whatever I am currently playing!" :lol:

Having evolved into a bit of a "small hole" flute aficionado. :D

Here's my 2 cents: The WD Shannon is a very good playing flute at a great price, with reasonable volume and good intonation. It isn't difficult to fill and can be pushed fairly hard when you want. My experience is actually with a couple of Ralph Sweets wooden versions (I just never bond with plastic flutes).

Here's a picture of my current flock of flutes:

I know it is large, but it is just a quick pic and I wanted you to be able to see the tone-holes/embuochures.

Top to Bottom:
David Swindler Bamboo = Big Holes
Alan Ginsberg - Rudall = Medium Holes
Unknown Antique - Believed to be U.S. = Smaller Medium Holes **This is the one closest to the SHANNON Model
Klemm Brothers - U.S. Antique = Small Holes
Firth, Hall & Pond - U.S. Antique = Small Holes
Unknown French Antique = Wee Small Holes
CAMAC French Contemporary = Small Holes and Very Narrow Bore

Of these my "Go To Flute" is the Firth, Hall & Pond (It never fails to please me)!

Feel Free to Ask Questions, here or via PM.

Happy Hunting!

Jordan
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan