Salt on Watermelon

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Do you do it?

Yes. It makes the watermelon taste sweeter.
25%
No. It is an abomination.
30%
I don't eat watermelon.
10%
No opinion.
35%

Total votes: 20

s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Salt on Watermelon

Post by s1m0n »

Cucumber is the only edible gourd.

Squash, zucchini, cantaloupe, watermelon, aubergine, etc are all disgusting. Some more than others, but none of them are good.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
benhall.1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

s1m0n wrote:Cucumber is the only edible gourd.

Squash, zucchini, cantaloupe, watermelon, aubergine, etc are all disgusting. Some more than others, but none of them are good.
1) They're all delicious.

2) Aubergine isn't a gourd, or even closely related.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

awildman wrote:Some people put sugar on their strawberries. Never could wrap my head around that one.
I put sugar on my strawberries. Clotted cream and sugar in that order.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

I cut local (not the styrofoam California monstrosities) strawberries, sprinkle sugar on them, and put them in the fridge for a few hours to macerate, then eat them with whipping (heavy) cream or clotted (devonshire) cream. Mostly the former, being a lot cheaper in these parts.

I do the same with ripe peaches. Incidentally, I had an ex-girlfriend who was astonished to learn that peaches and cream was a recipe, not merely an expression.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

benhall.1 wrote: 2) Aubergine isn't a gourd, or even closely related.
But entirely as noxious. Who'd want to be closely related to so foul an object?

C.S. Lewis
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

s1m0n wrote:
It's fantastic. It is really one of my favourite foods. It probably is my favourite vegetable.

Very varied as well, from the wonderful, aromatic "pea" aubergines used in Thai cooking to the large, purple or white aubergines used in so much Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cooking.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Well, there's no accounting for taste. [headshake]

C.S. Lewis
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

benhall.1 wrote:
s1m0n wrote:
It's fantastic. It is really one of my favourite foods. It probably is my favourite vegetable.

Very varied as well, from the wonderful, aromatic "pea" aubergines used in Thai cooking to the large, purple or white aubergines used in so much Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cooking.
Well, if you have any arthritic symptoms, I suggest leaving them alone.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

kkrell wrote:Well, if you have any arthritic symptoms, I suggest leaving them alone.
I didn't know that. However, having looked it up, they are apparently no worse than (and better than some of these) potatoes, tomatoes, sweet peppers and chillis. I cannot imagine life without those things, so aubergines can stay, too. :)
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

OK, so I'm a bit late with response as yesterday, 4th, too busy with celebration and eating watermelon of course. No salt, never heard of such a thing. Chilled only and away we go.

A further question might ask, "how close to the rind does one eat?", leaving red, leaving some pink, eating into the bitter white rind itself? Or do you pre-cut the rind off prior to eating?

Here there are no longer the huge, long watermelon types which have been replaced with smaller, seedless, round balls basketball sized, or even softball sized.

When in season... I get my share and straight up, no injections or additions. :thumbsup:
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

s1m0n wrote:Squash, zucchini, cantaloupe, watermelon, aubergine, etc are all disgusting.
Are we talking summer squash (which are disgusting), or winter squash? Winter squash, especially the darker orange varieties, baked and topped with maple syrup and walnuts, is exquisite.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

While we're on the topic of eating our veggies, I can't think of any that I downright abhor with the passion that some of you have expressed. I tend to like them all, so for me preparation is the deal-breaker more than anything. That said, I am no fan of green bell pepper, but will eat it to be polite. When I prepare food with bell pepper, it's red or nothing.

I finally cast my vote: No salt on my watermelon, please. This does not universally apply in my household, though, and when certain parties recently salted a big bowl of watermelon I'd cubed up instead of just doing their own portion, there was nearly a slaughter over it - hence this poll. I've tried it voluntarily and involuntarily time and again, and salted watermelon repels me every time. It's as if it's been contaminated. Can't help it. For that matter, salting any melon is out of the question for me. Those of you in the other camp have my perplexed curiosity.

What I find interesting is how many have no opinion on the subject! I would never have expected that.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
walrii

Post by walrii »

Tunborough wrote:Are we talking summer squash (which are disgusting)...
Try slicing them medium thick, dip in milk and dredge thru very fine corn meal. Fry in hot oil just until the cornmeal gets a little crispy. Great with all sorts of food.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Not a big fan of melon, although watermelon isn't too bad.

Sugar on strawberries - fine, if you like that sort of thing.
The late Clement Freud MP and self-publicist (not to mention dog-food publiciser) had a thing about ground black pepper on strawberries.

I saw this a few times and thought - that's so off-the-wall I'll try it.

It was disgusting.

I should have learned my lesson when I tried the Banana-and-tomato-Bake in the Rose Elliot cookbook. :evil:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Innocent Bystander wrote:I should have learned my lesson when I tried the Banana-and-tomato-Bake in the Rose Elliot cookbook. :evil:
Wow. That was from the cookbook's humor section, right?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician