Salt on Watermelon

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Do you do it?

Yes. It makes the watermelon taste sweeter.
25%
No. It is an abomination.
30%
I don't eat watermelon.
10%
No opinion.
35%

Total votes: 20

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Salt on Watermelon

Post by Nanohedron »

'Fess up.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Salt on Watermelon

Post by Peter Duggan »

Option for 'no opinion'? (As in 'I eat watermelon but had no idea people put salt on it so have no opinion'!)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Oops. Corrected.

However, I caution you that now you will probably try it, and form an opinion after all. Consequently, re-voting is permitted. If you still don't have an opinion after that, check to make sure that it's watermelon you're eating.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

It's entirely possible that, after Googling the concept and logic of the idea, I shall try it, come to no firm conclusion about it either tasting sweeter or being an abomination, and therefore still have no opinion. But I can't try right now because nobody sells watermelon in Kinlochleven and I'm not driving to Fort William to pick up some pre-sliced/diced melon medley pack after just getting back from London and trying Innis & Gunn 6.6% as a tasty cold cure!

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:...nobody sells watermelon in Kinlochleven...
Oh. Around here nobody doesn't sell it. To a Yank, summer without watermelon is inconceivable.

As instigator of this raging controversy, I will postpone my vote.
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:As instigator of this raging controversy, I will postpone my vote.
I was going to ask, but it's so raging no-one except me (of the 'no opinion') has even no opinion?

[Immediate edit... what, someone else voted?]

Master of nine?
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:To a Yank, summer without watermelon is inconceivable.
To a Scot, summer is inconceivable! :P

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

It's a polarizing topic, actually.

Judging from your response I suspect that the practice may be largely confined to the New World. But here in the States we are occupied today with celebrating Independence Day, so I expect a livelier turnout for this poll in the days to follow.

A July 4th table without watermelon would be the most inconceivable of all. It's just not done.
walrii

Post by walrii »

As a child growing up in South Carolina, I cannot recall ever seeing watermelon served without shakers of salt on the table. Everyone, including me, ate it that way. Nowadays, I eat watermelon "straight up" mostly because I usually eat someone else's watermelon and folks here in Texas don't do salt on watermelon. I like it either way and regard it as a matter of taste. I suppose that could place me in the "no opinion" category but that's not literally true so I checked "yes."
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:To a Yank, summer without watermelon is inconceivable.
To a Scot, summer is inconceivable! :P
Ah. Yes, your climate would be inconducive to growing watermelon, wouldn't it. I forgot. Well, consider this an exercise in getting to know your Yank cousins better, then. :)
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:As instigator of this raging controversy, I will postpone my vote.
I was going to ask, but it's so raging no-one except me (of the 'no opinion') has even no opinion?

[Immediate edit... what, someone else voted?]
Try to have a little patience Peter. Barely 45 minutes has yet elapsed.

I feel fairly certain that I would react to salt on watermelon the same way I reacted to black pepper on strawberries when I tried it. "Try it!" they said. "You'll love it!" they said. "It really works!" they said. Yeah right. :really:
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:Well, consider this an exercise in getting to know your Yank cousins better, then. :)
I will ask my younger brother, who's lived in the States (mostly Seattle) for the past 20 years, and with whom I've just spent one weekend in the Highlands and one in London before we flew our separate ways yesterday...

Master of nine?
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

Voted yes, although I generally don't bother nowadays.

Canadians add salt too, although I'm not sure how common it is.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

In California, I sure we just drizzle chocolate syrup on it :P . Oh, and maybe some mint ice cream.
awildman

Post by awildman »

Salt on cantaloupe is great. Never tried it on watermelon.

Some people put sugar on their strawberries. Never could wrap my head around that one.