Book for beginner to advanced

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
German Whistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Book for beginner to advanced

Post by German Whistler »

Hi
i learned years agao with the clarke book from Bill Ochs - it was good but i lost it.

I didnt play for years and want to start again, my skills are not very advanced so a beginner book would be ok
I dont want to buy the Clarke book again , i am sure one day i will find it again, wich would be good because i didnt made all the way trough that book, maybe a third only

Is there another Book you can recomend? To have aditional?
What about the Mery Bergin Books , well they are expensive for me, but i remember when they came out many of you bought them, i could start with the first one
Any other good Book to learn from?
Andreas Fischer the "German Whistler"
PLay Whistles since May 2012

* My Whistles and other Instruments
* My WeBlog
Recommendation:
* My (Your) Music Community
A monthly Learn and Compare Challenge and more!
Everybody is welcome and U 2
;-)
Mikethebook
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Re: Book for beginner to advanced

Post by Mikethebook »

I love Mary Bergin's books but if you've played before you may be able to skip the first volume. I had already learned from other books by the time I came to hers so didn't spend long working through it but volume 2 has been a wonderful source of learning, and though I'm not finished, I eagerly await volume 3 when she covers slow airs as well as much more. Can't recommend them enough.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Search feature will get almost all answers.

viewtopic.php?p=1188698#p1188698

Have fun!
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

Do try to find your Bill Ochs' book ... it's probably as good as any for starting out, with a wide range of musical styles.

My other favourite book is Robin Williamson's "Penny Whistle Book" ... again a wide range of musical styles covered.

Enjoy!
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
German Whistler

Thanks to all of you

I am still thinking about the Mery Bergin Book 1 (i AM a beginner, i didnt made many lessons from the Bill Ochs Book and its years ago) and i am sure i will find the Bill Ochs Book again one day, so now i want another one "additional"

Robin Williamson's "Penny Whistle Book" ist less then 10 € for Kindle i guess ill try that one anyway
Or i add 50 € and get Merry Bergins Book - its not easy to decide for a poor man ;-)

* My WeBlog
Recommendation:
;-)
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

its not easy to decide for a poor man
It really comes down to your level of dedication to learning and the level of detail you want your lessons to get into.
My brain hurts

Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Before you decide on Mary Bergin Book 1, I suggest you go to http://maryberginwhistle.com/purchase.html and click on "View Table of Contents" for each book if you haven't already done so. It will give you complete details of what she teaches in each book.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

I was hoping with Willie Week underway that some announcement would be made about the upcoming third volume to tutorial. Release date? And website updated with tutorial book members area?
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

That would be nice! Last time I heard from her, some time ago now, she was hoping to release it early this summer. I think it's too much to expect she will have started any work on the tutorial website.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

ytliek wrote:I was hoping with Willie Week underway that some announcement would be made about the upcoming third volume to tutorial. Release date? And website updated with tutorial book members area?
Gumby reported from the scene that he didn't see a Volume 3 at the launch event.... I'm sure he'll be available for a live report soon.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Steve Bliven wrote:
ytliek wrote:I was hoping with Willie Week underway that some announcement would be made about the upcoming third volume to tutorial. Release date? And website updated with tutorial book members area?
Gumby reported from the scene that he didn't see a Volume 3 at the launch event.... I'm sure he'll be available for a live report soon.
Yes, I'm awaiting a WW update, or I'll have to inquire myself after the CIAW. MB is supposed to do a local event here.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Any of them will do you fine, if you stick with it. What you need to avoid is jumping to another book when the first starts to seem difficult. We all find different parts of learning to play easier, but no one gets it for free. Something is always work. Success comes to them what toughs out the hard parts.

OTOH, PM me. I have a bunch of tutors that I'd send you for little more than the postage costs.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
German Whistler

i have a question about Robin Williamson's "Penny Whistle Book"
I had a "look inside" at amazon and it seems to be mostly a tunes collection.
Does it also have instructions? Rols cuts etc ....?

* My WeBlog
Recommendation:
;-)
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

German Whistler wrote:i have a question about Robin Williamson's "Penny Whistle Book"
I had a "look inside" at amazon and it seems to be mostly a tunes collection.
Does it also have instructions? Rols cuts etc ....?
Details of cuts etc. are included where appropriate for a specific tune, but there aren't very many separate exercises.

Like Bill Ochs' book, the emphasis, to my mind, is to use the whistle as a generic musical instrument, the selection of tunes provided helping to demonstrate the wide capabilities of the whistle, rather than emphasising any skill-set particular to a specific genre.

If you particularly want to play one type of music, Scottish, Irish or whatever, there are probably better publications suitable for the purpose, none of which I am qualified to recommend.

Good luck.
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
German Whistler

Kypfer wrote: Details of cuts etc. are included where appropriate for a specific tune, but there aren't very many separate exercises.
ok, thtas good enough for me, ill get it

* My WeBlog
Recommendation:
;-)