Flute Case Option

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Flute Case Option

Post by Steve Bliven »

I was introduced to this case by Martin Doyle who uses it as his basic case. Holds those long-bodied Pratten flutes as well as most other flutes in a sturdy plastic case. Additionally holds three whistles in separate areas. Available through McNeela Music Instruments in Dublin.

I have no connection to the company, just found it to work where the plastic pistol case didn't (and caused a bit less of a stir when traveling by air).

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Re: Flute Case Option

Post by colomon »

I absolutely love the idea of this case, but I need one with about three times the space.

My normal whistle kit (high to low) is a couple of high Ds, a C, a B, a Bb/A, an A, a G, an F/E, and an Eb/D. The solution I've been toying with this week is taking a briefcase, lining the bottom with 2in thick foam to hold whistles, then building a tray with more 2in thick foam to sit on top of that. Put all the more common whistles in the tray so in normal circumstances you don't need to lift it out.

Edited to add: Ah, yes, this is the flute forum. Too bad I'm still so whistle-y.
Last edited by colomon on Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Beleragor
Tell us something.: Playing the flute since 2014 and the classical piano for almost all my life. I am already living in Belfast and playing in two sessions per week.

Post by Beleragor »

I own that case. It came with my Sam Murray flute. It is a good case, light and durable. The quality is quite high and the protection which offer to the flute is great.

The only problem that I got with it is that the case is quite long, so it dosn't fit on a medium bagpack. But not everybody will have that problem.

Best,
MKE_Chris

Post by MKE_Chris »

I'm trying to think if this would accomodate a 5-piece Rudall-style with keys. Just stick the middle sections in side by side maybe?
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brianholton »

clark
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

Hey Colomon,
I completely get owning whistles in all those different keys; but I'm curious what kind of a session or music do you play to need to carry all those everywhere. If you have a C and D that covers pretty much everything played in a session. I have a band and the singers sometimes need to sing in weird (for simple system instruments) keys and so I do need a couple extras (A and Bb).
Clark
gasping george

Post by gasping george »

That Macneelamusic case looks like an excellent wooden flute case. Including a whistle compartment is so obvious. Why wasn't it created before now!

I recently made my own case by adapting an Amazon / Ammoon $12 styrofoam / nylon C foot silver flute case. Strong, lightweight, and compact for travel for a Sweetheart keyless flute: I had to open up the case and trim the styrofoam to fit the head joint. I can fit a D whistle, C whistle, cork grease, and cleaning rod in the outside pocket, but they are not protected.

More on my amazon review, including some photos:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SV ... merReviews