ideas for self-percussion with whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: ideas for self-percussion with whistle?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

They are for sale here, photo on the site just about shows how it sits together, and it seems simple enough :

My brain hurts

ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I've seen them jig dancers at some of the Appalachian, old time, bluegrass events and rarely at the Irish events. There is a player in our group that uses one, but, he is Finish and crosses over into the Appalachian playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdsTsdCMs28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS8aEbiwvWw

Here's another type that is hand controlled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWRBhDLVJdY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aThzn865R4k

The kids get mesmerized when the jig dances.
Last edited by ytliek on Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Yes that's what I'd always heard them called, limberjacks.

Sean Folsom (a member here) has a row of puppets hanging from a string, one end tied to his leg, the other end to a post. As he stomps his foot the puppets dance. I think he does it when he plays hurdy gurdy, but I suppose you could be playing anything.

Has nothing to do with foot percussion, really, because they don't make much sound.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

Actually, limberjacks are very much percussion instruments as well- they make quite a lot of sound, and if you don't have the skill to make them dance in time to the music it sounds simply awful (as is quickly apparent when you let a bystander try one out). When i first began to 'play' limberjacks years ago, the random percussion sound aspect of it was frankly unbearable to listen to with the music playing. As I got better at it, the wooden/clacking percussion sound became pleasing- in sync with and as accompaniment to the music. It's a skill like any other, that takes a bit of practice. :)
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Here's one in an engraving from a Hogarth painting from 1733. See the piper in the lower left corner of the engraving with his twin dancers. He's much harder to see in the original painting (where he's in the lower right corner).

(The piper subsequently became the logo for the Pipers Gathering as I am required by contract to make at least one gratuitous publicity comment per month.)

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
nwhitmer

Post by nwhitmer »

As prototypes for another project I have made what I think of as "tin can whistles." Closing the finger holes makes percussive sounds.

A large tin can with a whistle inside, like this:

The sounds are not loud, more apparent to the player than to a listener. Attach a pickup, though, and it is a different story. Here is a YouTube video of me playing one with a pickup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdVoLPElOVw

Enjoy! (or not)

Nick
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

That is the finest sweet (red) vermouth one can buy. My favourite for sure :)
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

Wow that it great! I love the percussion you get that way!
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
nicx66
Tell us something.: Hi, I have been playing whistle for 3 years. I made my first whistle 2 years ago and my first tin whistle last year in a tinsmithing class.

Post by nicx66 »

I think the spanish flaviol (a fipple-flute) is designed to be played with one hand so that the other is free to bang a drum. google image: flabiol i tambori
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

nicx66 wrote:I think the spanish flaviol (a fipple-flute) is designed to be played with one hand so that the other is free to bang a drum.
In English those are called Tabor Pipes.

There are two finger holes and one thumb hole, I think. Since you play in the 2nd and 3rd registers (only a 5th apart) you can play an entire scale.

Various makes of whistles used to be available either in six-hole whistle form or three-hole tabor pipe form.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

"The sounds are...more apparent to the player than to a listener."

Probably a good thing. :)
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Mr.Gumby wrote:You'll probably want to look into podorythmie.
(Chiming in late as usual)

I have lived in Québec for 30 years and have many friends in the trad-music community and I have to tell you I have grown to loathe this practice, or rather its ubiquitousness and lack of subtlety. I can still just about deal with it when produced by top-class musicians from around here, although I do wonder why they are incapable of playing without doing it, and why some of them are so damned aggressive with it. I'm waiting for a traditional band with the guts not to do it, actually.

But when I hear it creeping into other genres I really want to strangle the performer.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Didn't see your response earlier. Haven't been keeping up in recent time.
I have to tell you I have grown to loathe this practice, or rather its ubiquitousness and lack of subtlety.
I can agree with that, it's wouldn't be my favourite thing. I have only seen one instance of something like it in Ireland, whistleplayer Mick Conroy used to do that and while it was slightly endearing in his old age, I always felt it was a bit of a novelty act.

And speaking of obsequiousness, the almost obligatory trotting out of a bunch of stepdancers in mid performance, or a performer putting down their instrument for a spate of hoofing around is now starting to wear thin for me as well. And I say that as someone who usually enjoys a bit of battering by a good dancer, at times. Especially during the recent All Ireland Fleadh the hoofers and brushdancers were fecking everywhere. Too much.
My brain hurts

StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Especially during the recent All Ireland Fleadh the hoofers and brushdancers were fecking everywhere. Too much.
:lol:

In Eastern Canada every young fiddle player now seems to be expected to be able to hoof while playing. It was a bit of a novelty when Natalie McMaster and Ashley McThingy were doing it 25 years ago but no more!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Every time I see this thread's title I envision some guy beating himself on the head with a tabor pipe.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician