Whistle in "To Have and Have Not"

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
LI Whistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Whistle in "To Have and Have Not"

Post by LI Whistler »

Just watched the movie "To Have and Have Not" for the first time. In the last minute, as Bacall and Bogart depart, the band plays a tune with what looks like a tin whistle. It is end blown and has no keys so I would bet money on it. I would paste in a snapshot if I knew how to do that. Any one else noticed this & could comment on it?
dunnp

Re: Whistle in "To Have and Have Not"

Post by dunnp »

benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Definitely looks like a whistle to me.
LI Whistler

Post by LI Whistler »

Thanks, dunnp. I did not think to look for the movie clip on youtube. It seems you can find almost anything on youtube.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:Definitely looks like a whistle to me.
Sure sounds like one, too.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

From the archives viewtopic.php?f=1&t=55991&hilit=whistles+in+movies lots of whistles in movies.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
LI Whistler

Post by LI Whistler »

You think you found something new & it turns out that some C&f person found it before. Thanks, all.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

It's too bad that the musicians were never
credited in those days. That's Hoagy Carmichael
at the piano so it was probably a guy from his band,
or perhaps either of these guys. I looked for fotos
of the following players to no avail.
Anyway here's some new whistle playing
from the swing era at least to my ears.

https://m.mixcloud.com/atsushiyoshida92 ... tle-blues/.

http://mp3red.me/26596916/hot-lips-page ... blues.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMwdH3GJclM
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

Yep....looks and sounds like a whistle to me! Anybody know the maker by this short clip? Don't get much of a look-see. I saw a movie a long time ago with Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney....Judy was singing with a 1940's western swing Band ...a large one too! The Band had three fiddles and a guitar player, Dog House bass player Four back-up singers(sons of the Pioneers type guys)all matching H Bar C shirts and pants. And, last but not least a whistle player Key of D brass with Black head shell(looked like a Dixon Trad). Whistle player took the solo! This was early 1940's. I couldn't believe what I was looking at! Don't know if the head shell was plastic or not? They had plastic in those days. Maybe Gutta-percha(hard rubber)don't know?
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

mickey66 wrote:Yep....looks and sounds like a whistle to me! Anybody know the maker by this short clip? Don't get much of a look-see.
I would suggest an Eb Generation, old style lead block type whistle. Shiny nickel plated, obviously! I happen to be total sh!te at figuring out the notes, but, on a lark I dug out the old Eb Generation and tried the first couple notes anyway. The tone and "feel" of that size whistle seem to jive. And I do believe the first few notes of the whistle part are (high) d-e-f-g. (Could be all wrong, but that's my guess anyway!)

I'd actually be truly grateful if some kind soul hereabouts would write out the dots. (Can't find anything with a quick websearch as of yet.) It's a terribly catchy little tune!
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
puipui
Tell us something.: I am playing whistles since 3 years ago but still at a beginner level. I especially like the tone produced by whistles of key of Bb.

Post by puipui »

whistlecollector wrote:And I do believe the first few notes of the whistle part are (high) d-e-f-g.
The first few notes are c _e f g2 and the key of tune is Ab.
So you are correct in picking up your Eb whistle.

This tune is a faster played version of the "how little we know" which was played earlier in this movie.
You can find the dots of the latter with web-search.