Reintroduction of Yours Truly

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Reintroduction of Yours Truly

Post by Tyghress »

Hello C&Fers near and far, old and new. I took a break and I'm back now, if just to poke my furry head in every once in a while. I play a number of instruments, all poorly, but it keeps me happy! Most recently I started playing Basel piccolo and marching with Americlique, a Swiss styled piccolo and drum group based here in CT. I was a bit aghast that they expected me to play strictly by the dots :shock:

My whistling fell a bit by the wayside. My Irish music fell WAY away, partly due to the subsequent deaths of 'my three old men', Eddie Burke, Tom Walsh, and PV O'Donnell. I keep plugging away at the folk music.

In the past I did shipping for Ralph Sweet of Sweetheart Flutes, and now ship for Joe/Jos/Joseph Mornealt of Musique Morneaux (see other recent posts for the intricacies) as well as weave, tend exotic pets (mine and othes), and have long and meaningful conversations with Alexa over what constitutes a good radio channel for folk music.

How are things going here??
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Reintroduction of Yours Truly

Post by Nanohedron »

It's a lot slower in the Pub than it used to be. Looks like folks would rather get their jollies on Facebook these days. Obviously, I'm one of the holdouts.

The rest of the Board is plugging away pretty much the same as ever. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Hi Tyg-- nice to see you back here, even though I see you regularly on Facebook. Say to the hubby.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Hi, nice to see you posting on the C&F Forums Tyg. We haven't bumped into one another formally but hopefully will one day soon here in CT. Good to hear you're still with the whistle shop Musique Morneaux. Be well.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:It's a lot slower in the Pub than it used to be. Looks like folks would rather get their jollies on Facebook these days.
You know, I don't get this. Where are people going on Facebook - or anywhere else for that matter - to get the sort of banter that is available around here? As far as I can see, almost nothing of any great interest has happened on the C&F Facebook group for ages. And I simply don't know of anywhere else. I'm a member of the Facebook group "Irish Music and Musicians"; nothing happens there either.

I think we just need to retreat into the pub. :)
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Facebook's not for C&F and you don't want it to be because it will be the end of C&F here if you let it. Facebook's the biggest killer of club sites, forums and blog comments out there because everyone just comments on Facebook thinking it's the same and the comments get swallowed up to become almost irretrievably buried far away from the things to which they belong.

That said, Facebook's also immensely useful for many things, so I have a love/hate relationship with it, but don't do it on my old-style phone (my only mobile) and don't allow apps at all!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

HIYA!
Nessus Fire
Tell us something.: Newbie whistler, looking for guidance, inspiration, the odd laugh and perhaps a bargain or two from the used pages

Post by Nessus Fire »

One of my favourite posters from the days I first discovered this forum, great to have you back.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:It's a lot slower in the Pub than it used to be. Looks like folks would rather get their jollies on Facebook these days.
You know, I don't get this. Where are people going on Facebook - or anywhere else for that matter - to get the sort of banter that is available around here? As far as I can see, almost nothing of any great interest has happened on the C&F Facebook group for ages. And I simply don't know of anywhere else. I'm a member of the Facebook group "Irish Music and Musicians"; nothing happens there either.

I think we just need to retreat into the pub. :)
First place I found for info on Tin whistle was this very active Facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/113405825388647
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

Maybe I should get in on this. Been a long while. Just posted a couple of flute tunes of Arbo Doughty's and thought I'd peek in and see what's what. I'm still playing the whistle, but mostly in the house. Focusing on slow airs more. I do the music for a yearly memorial at my work place: an oncology clinic where we remember patients who passed away the past year, and in a lighter environment, do an hour of solo tunes at a grade school corned beef/cabbage fund raiser you know when. Forces me to practice the jig and reels I haven't quite forgotten. My mom attends, so I'm obligated to play Danny Boy at that one.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Peter Duggan wrote:Facebook's not for C&F and you don't want it to be because it will be the end of C&F here if you let it. Facebook's the biggest killer of club sites, forums and blog comments out there because everyone just comments on Facebook thinking it's the same and the comments get swallowed up to become almost irretrievably buried far away from the things to which they belong.

That said, Facebook's also immensely useful for many things, so I have a love/hate relationship with it, but don't do it on my old-style phone (my only mobile) and don't allow apps at all!
Having belonged to a few forums where the admins were psychotic and eventually banned everyone who ever disagreed with them, and forums where the admins didn't follow the clearly prescibed rules of the site, I find FB nice and restful. People who violently disagree with you unfriend you and block you - I did it it once, I won't do it again. But you're right, it has killed a lot of forums.
Yes, I missed this place. I don't call in as much as I should. I'll try to do better. Hiya, Tygress! :thumbsup:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Yes, I missed this place. I don't call in as much as I should. I'll try to do better.
That would be great. And I will try and do the same! :)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I think a big reason for C&F's stubborn survival is because it continues to be an actual, retrievable resource for a living and vibrant set of interests. I've only looked into FB a couple of times so I may have missed it, but I don't see the same quality there, just an ongoing parade of the latest whatever-comes-to-mind, posts popping up only to march away from immediacy into the forgotten. The way I see it, Facebook is a lot like the old chatrooms, basically, only tarted up with bells and whistles. C&F gets lumped in with social media, but in point of fact it's more than just that.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:an actual, retrievable resource
Pretty well what I said!
I've only looked into FB a couple of times so I may have missed it, but I don't see the same quality there, just an ongoing parade of the latest whatever-comes-to-mind, posts popping up only to march away from immediacy into the forgotten.
It's great for keeping in touch with people about all sorts of things, relocating old friends, a handy single-stop guide to what's happening and all that. But, yes, it's basically ephemeral, with past content being awkward to search on your own timeline and nigh impossible on anyone else's. There's a place for Facebook and a place for blogs, forums and club sites, but the problem is Facebook taking over everywhere. C&F is better than Facebook for what it does best (which is not IMHO ephemeral, casual chat) but C&F et al. are better than Facebook for what they do best (which is content of greater 'permanent' value). But I've said all this already...

Edit: Did I really say that? It should have been C&F et al. are better than Facebook for [whatever], but Facebook is better than C&F etc. for [whatever]. Otherwise the 'but' is kind of nonsensical even if the meaning's still clear...
Last edited by Peter Duggan on Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:Pretty well what I said!
I can't resist flogging a dead horse. I mistake the flies for signs of life. Image

I like your use of the word "ephemeral". Says it all. :)