Help: Michael Copeland's serial numbers

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Nessus Fire
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Newbie whistler, looking for guidance, inspiration, the odd laugh and perhaps a bargain or two from the used pages

Re: Help: Michael Copeland's serial numbers

Post by Nessus Fire »

Have to say I was massively unimpressed by the brass Low D I had, so much so that it was sold after two weeks.
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

Nessus Fire wrote:Have to say I was massively unimpressed by the brass Low D I had, so much so that it was sold after two weeks.
Um. Okay...

And...?
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

whistlecollector wrote:
Nessus Fire wrote:Have to say I was massively unimpressed by the brass Low D I had, so much so that it was sold after two weeks.
Um. Okay...

And...?
He's a troll. Don't worry about him - he's gone.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

benhall.1 wrote:He's a troll. Don't worry about him - he's gone.
But his avatar lives on - might want to cleanse that.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

kkrell wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:He's a troll. Don't worry about him - he's gone.
But his avatar lives on - might want to cleanse that.
Yes. I'm travelling today so it may have to wait a while
whistle1000

Post by whistle1000 »

Hi Ben, I was just about to PM you regarding the same avatar but just saw this post. Thanks for the follow up!
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

whistle1000 wrote:Hi Ben, I was just about to PM you regarding the same avatar but just saw this post. Thanks for the follow up!
Yes, I think I'll have to do something about it. For now, I'm finding it slightly amusing - I imagine "the two Petes" are as well. I saw your contribution, whistle1000 - enjoyed it. :)

Anyway, I guess I'm aiding and abetting a bit of thread drift here ... :lol: Maybe we'd best go back to the subject of Michael's serial numbers. I find serial numbers on all sorts of things interesting - they don't always seem to give you the answer you expect ...
TonyHiggins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TonyHiggins »

I have a brass low d numbered 2260. I bought it after I joined C&F in 2001 and I wouldn't have heard of Copelands before then. I bought it directly from him and was on a waiting list for at least 3 months then. (I didn't keep the receipt.)
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Tin Whistler Michael
Tell us something.: Hey, I'm here because this is a music forum and was hoping to find a Copland tin whistle for sale. Ever since Mr Copeland stopped making whistles it's been difficult to find them anywhere, so I'm hoping I can find one for sale here

Post by Tin Whistler Michael »

[Yet another thread revival. Apparently this one's official. :wink: - Mod]

Hey I know this is a old topic but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Michael's pre serial number whistles. I own a tunable brass D tin whistle but the only marking on the whistle is the word Copeland, any info anyone might have would be appreciated
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Tin Whistler Michael wrote:
Hey I know this is a old topic but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Michael's pre serial number whistles. I own a tunable brass D tin whistle but the only marking on the whistle is the word Copeland, any info anyone might have would be appreciated
“Any Info” is rather broad..... perhaps if you say what specifically you’d like know, then someone may be able to help.
Tin Whistler Michael
Tell us something.: Hey, I'm here because this is a music forum and was hoping to find a Copland tin whistle for sale. Ever since Mr Copeland stopped making whistles it's been difficult to find them anywhere, so I'm hoping I can find one for sale here

Post by Tin Whistler Michael »

My bad, does anyone know when those were made?
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Tin Whistler Michael wrote:My bad, does anyone know when those were made?
There are at least 3 iterations of “Copeland” stamping for Soprano D whistles:

1. Early - “Copeland” Stamped with simple, smallish letters, a 4 leaf clover stamped below that, and finally “Philadelphia” stamped below the cloverleaf. No serial numbers and no Key of D stamp.

2. Mid period - “Copeland” stamped in larger and fancier style letters. No clover, no Philadelphia, no key of D stamps.

3. Late period - Same as #2. Above but with the addition of serial numbers.

I don’t know the exact time frames for any of the above, but if you have a soprano D like #2, my best estimate would be that it was made in the time frame from about the mid/late 80’s to the early 90’s. If I recall correctly (and I may not) the serial numbers first appeared in the early 90’s. So, yours would be older than that, but not as old as the Philadelphia stamped whistles.

Hopefully someone with a better memory or more accurate and complete info will chime in, but I doubt anyone other than Michael C. himself, and possibly Jim R., would have the exact details of when production started and ended for each iteration. There could also be earlier versions I am unaware of, and I am uncertain if the occasional whistle that Michael still makes now and then have serial numbers.
WhistleTunes
Tell us something.: Hi! I’ve been a trad musician most of my life on the highland pipes. Been playing whistles and flute for about a year now.

Post by WhistleTunes »

Loren wrote:
Tin Whistler Michael wrote:My bad, does anyone know when those were made?
There are at least 3 iterations of “Copeland” stamping for Soprano D whistles:

1. Early - “Copeland” Stamped with simple, smallish letters, a 4 leaf clover stamped below that, and finally “Philadelphia” stamped below the cloverleaf. No serial numbers and no Key of D stamp.

2. Mid period - “Copeland” stamped in larger and fancier style letters. No clover, no Philadelphia, no key of D stamps.

3. Late period - Same as #2. Above but with the addition of serial numbers.

I don’t know the exact time frames for any of the above, but if you have a soprano D like #2, my best estimate would be that it was made in the time frame from about the mid/late 80’s to the early 90’s. If I recall correctly (and I may not) the serial numbers first appeared in the early 90’s. So, yours would be older than that, but not as old as the Philadelphia stamped whistles.

Hopefully someone with a better memory or more accurate and complete info will chime in, but I doubt anyone other than Michael C. himself, and possibly Jim R., would have the exact details of when production started and ended for each iteration. There could also be earlier versions I am unaware of, and I am uncertain if the occasional whistle that Michael still makes now and then have serial numbers.
I recently purchased two Copeland high D whistles in nickel. They are both stamped with the quatrefoil logo, plain font, marked “Philadelphia.” One has no serial number and the other is serial number 31. I guess these would probably be late 80s or early 90s.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I have a Copeland with the fancy script, no serial number and no D letter. I purchased that in 1992. I purchased one for my son in 2009 that had a serial number 3409, if that helps folks in the Copeland mystery department.