Hole sizes on whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Hole sizes on whistles

Post by pancelticpiper »

AuLoS303 wrote: I found a site that showed me how to get a C natural by half holing T1, and it seemed to work-I need to check with a tuner.
As was discussed on another thread I and many other pipers and whistle players use a simultaneous combination of crossfingering and venting to create a distinctive and expressive C natural in the low octave.

About checking the pitch of a vented C natural with a tuner, of course you can make the pitch anywhere between B and C# according to how much of the hole is covered.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
awildman

Post by awildman »

Feadog are not the easiest to half-hole. Smallish holes.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

awildman wrote:Feadog are not the easiest to half-hole. Smallish holes.
Not too bad actually. And I can do glissandi on it. Actually easier than my soprano recorder which is in a similar range
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

When you can do the two-octave (G-to-G) glissando from Henk Badings Sonata for Alto Recorder and Harpsichord you've nailed ascending glissandi at least. If I were a beginner, I'd be more interested in learning to finger the notes right and play the right ones in the right places. And you'll rarely if ever need more than a single-hole slide for trad on whistle...
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

AuLoS303 wrote:T 123, B123 for whistle
T123,B1234 for recorder, plus TH for thumb hole. Interesting. I wonder if an octave hole at the back has been tried on tin whistle.
I'm more used to T(humb)-123-456-7, which covers (almost) everything. T1 and T2 can be confusing when you get to whistles like the sopilka or other keyless instruments like the rackett which have two thumb holes. But then again, the sopilka has eight finger holes, and the rackett has, in addition to two thumb holes and seven or eight finger holes, two more holes for the middle joints of the index fingers!
Brewerpaul wrote:Some makers including myself make an extra long D whistle with one extra hole to provide a low C note, C# if you half hole. In trad music though, those notes are not used very often at all.
I've always liked this feature!
I was a recorder player before I came to play and make whistles, so I tried a thumb hole to make octaves easier. It was no help at all. I've made a couple of custom order whistles with an extra hole on the back to allow an F natural without half holing, but I personally don't think it's worth it. Learning to half hole is extremely useful for many notes.
Sure, though the extra holes are a nice option. Particularly the low C/C# hole. Beats having to crook your pinky around the bottom of the whistle to get that note.
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

An octave hole is completely unnecessary on whistle.

Theo Boehm originally put an octave key on his flutes, but as soon as he began licensing the production of his flutes to other makers the octave key was abandoned as having a negligible effect on performance and being an unnecessary complication of mechanism.

About extra holes for chromatic notes, many folk flutes, bagpipes, and fifes have done that.

It's become rather standard in the fifing world to make fifes with holes for D#/Eb, F natural, G#, and Bb. A fifer loaned me a fife and I was surprised how quickly my fingers, used to Irish whistle for 40 years, adapted to the new fingerings.

Many makers of Scottish Smallpipes have added a hole for C natural (the equivalent of F natural in Irish woodwinds).
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

Talking of fifes, specifically in comparison to regular flutes, are they hard to play? Ive seen quite a few videos showing the popular Yamaha fife and it seems that many struggle to get a note out of it.
Last edited by AuLoS303 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

You should ask the folks in the Flute Forum.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

There are fifes, and there are fifes. It has been half a century or more since I regularly played a recorder so I do not find the key or hole layout of the Yamaha fife very congenial. I do however, have a French 'fivre, ancienne' I bought on fleabay for $40 which is a lovely, small holed delight pitched at A=440. The embouchure is extremely forgiving and I can easily compass two octaves. The fingerings are the same as a simple system flute.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

an seanduine wrote: The embouchure is extremely forgiving and I can easily compass two octaves.
Which two octaves?

Fifes are nearly always playing in the 2nd and 3rd octaves.

I can produce the 1st and 2nd octave just fine, but I struggle with the 3rd, which means I can't be much of a fifer. (I'm speaking of the fife and fife music as is done in the fifing tradition. Of course somebody can choose to not do that, and use the fife like an octave-flute, a piccolo.)

In any case it would be easy enough to make a whistle with the same hole layout as a chromatic fife.

Here's a fife fingering chart. Keep in mind you're playing an octave higher than written, and the music comes out two octaves higher than written (on a D fife).

Like this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YERlt05hKU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNCgNmVK6mc
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
Spielorjh
Tell us something.: I play whistle and want to talk to others who do also. I need to pad this out to 100 characters. 100 characters is longer than it seems to be when one is typing. Perhaps I'll overshoot.

Post by Spielorjh »

I just ordered an aluminum Angus fife in D - I'll post how it plays once it arrives.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Spielorjh wrote:I just ordered an aluminum Angus fife in D - I'll post how it plays once it arrives.
I was just searching for any info about fifes, & this thread came up.

Did you get around to posting a report anywhere?
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Carson
Tell us something.: I am very interested in Irish traditional music. I am also a musician and I play a flute. I would love to join and participate in conversations.

Post by Carson »

I think different sizes create different tones.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

AuLoS303 wrote: Thanks. I found a site that showed me how to get a C natural by half holing T1, and it seemed to work-I need to check with a tuner.
Don't get hung up on what the tuner says. Play the whistle, not the tuner. If the Cnat sounds good to you in the context of a tune, then it's plenty good. You'll notice that watching the tuner you can blow notes sharp or flat. As you play more and more, your brain will automatically blow notes into "good enough" pitch while you play.
Experiment with half holing other notes. With this useful skill you can play Bnat, G#,Fnat,Eb/D# etc.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!