Pear wood

A place for players of other folk/world music wind instruments.
Old Dog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Pear wood

Post by Old Dog »

A lot of recorders have been made of pear wood over the years. Why pear wood? What's so great about the material?
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Pear wood

Post by s1m0n »

It's a close-grained hardwood available to europeans.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Peter Duggan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Old Dog wrote:What's so great about the material?
Nothing. Presumably used for availability and price, but it's basically a mass market, lower-end choice with pearwood and maple recorders typically impregnated with paraffin wax for preservation and stability where harder/denser woods don't require this and are normally oiled instead.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Before the arrival of tropical hardwoods in Europe, fruitwood (usually pear) and boxwood were two of the densest close-grained woods available to Europeans. Thus, they were used to make recorders. Several hundred years later, the tradition continues, despite the availability of denser tropical hardwoods.

*And flutes, pipes, etc. At the time, there was no better wood available.
Last edited by s1m0n on Thu May 25, 2017 7:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

I would say availability. Especially as the flute/whistle is a folk instrument and in earlier times commoners would make use of the materials around them. And I dont think Pear was a particularly sacred tree (unlike Yew or Rowan)
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a banjo/mando/fiddle shirt site at https://harmonias.com/
and a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Post by Chifmunk »

Coincidence-
I'm having an all pear wood epinette des Vosges being made for me right now. I chose pear wood mostly because that's the wood of the antique original museum instrument that my epinette is based on. Also for pear wood sentimental reasons. Should be finished in a few weeks. The color of pear wood is delightful as well. Can't wait!
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Chifmunk wrote:Coincidence-
I'm having an all pear wood epinette des Vosges being made for me right now. I chose pear wood mostly because that's the wood of the antique original museum instrument that my epinette is based on. Also for pear wood sentimental reasons. Should be finished in a few weeks. The color of pear wood is delightful as well. Can't wait!
I had to look up "epinette des Vosges". Never heard of one before.
AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

benhall.1 wrote:
Chifmunk wrote:Coincidence-
I had to look up "epinette des Vosges". Never heard of one before.
Me too, and I'm glad I took the time too. It looks fantastic!
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog