Seasoning bellows

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
mike delta
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Seasoning bellows

Post by mike delta »

Hello
I tried this thread on non uilleann pipes forum but got no response so I'm trying here.
How do I season my Northumbrian small pipe bellows (wood & leather) and what substance do I use either commercially bought or home made. I have several small leaks emanating through the stitching between the leather cheeks and the wooden boards. Nothing drastic and the bellows are still usable but I would like to staunch these small leaks now before they become an issue.
Regards
Mike Delta
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Seasoning bellows

Post by Ted »

For localized leaks, you can melt 5 parts lard with one part beeswax together and allow to cool. Make a worm of the mix and apply to the inside of the bellows where the leaks are with a chop stick or similar. Heat an oven to 130 degrees F. Turn off the oven and place the bellows inside. When the mix melts, cork off the outlet , open the bellows and cork off the inlet. Apply pressure to the paddles to force the mix into the leaks. It may take a couple of tries but will last for years. If the leather itself is leaky, you will need to replace the leather.
mike delta
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Seasoning bellows

Post by mike delta »

Thank you for that :)
Mike Delta