RTE: Seamus Ennis's kids about his life

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

RTE: Seamus Ennis's kids about his life

Post by s1m0n »

I dunno that I have any business posting here, but I've recently re-trolled my hard drive and found an RTE broadcast from 1988 in which Seamus Ennis's children, Chris and Catherine provided bittersweet memories of Ennis.

It is well worth anyone's hearing. If you love the music, it's worth hearing. Catherine plays a bunch of duets with Liam O'Flynn, so it's worth hearing for that alone.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
myles

Re: RTE: Seamus Ennis's kids about his life

Post by myles »

"Our Father, Seamus Ennis" it was called. A really interesting (and honest) documentary. It should be streamable from the RTE site - I had a listen a couple of months back.
westerneyes

Post by westerneyes »

I hadn't heard this before, thanks for posting! Can anyone tell me the name of the air played by Liam and Catherine at around the 27 minute mark, and again by Seamus at the end of the program? I've checked all of my Seamus Ennis albums to no avail.

I couldn't get the flash player on RTE's site to work, but you can download the recording there. I also found a working stream Here.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

If you can't capture a stream I have the file backed up and can get you a copy. PM me.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Pipewort
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Pipewort »

[quote][I hadn't heard this before, thanks for posting! Can anyone tell me the name of the air played by Liam and Catherine at around the 27 minute mark, and again by Seamus at the end of the program? I've checked all of my Seamus Ennis albums to no avail.
/quote]

Was it not Easter Snow?

Pwort
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

Pipewort wrote: Was it not Easter Snow?

Pwort
I haven't been back to check what`s going on at 27 mins, but Easter Snow is certainly one of the tunes the two play together.

C.S. Lewis
chaos97

Post by chaos97 »

It's Ennis' 'Lament for the Fox' from his version of the Fox Chase
westerneyes

Post by westerneyes »

chaos97 wrote:It's Ennis' 'Lament for the Fox' from his version of the Fox Chase
Yes, that's it! I knew it sounded familiar, and I didn't catch it on my quick scan through Ennis' discography as this section doesn't come in until about 8.5 minutes into the piece. It's interesting that he shuts off the bass drone when he goes into the Lament. Thanks!