Sweetheart Flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Old Dog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sweetheart Flutes

Post by Old Dog »

The following was in a message I received from Joseph Morneaux this morning:

"Sweetheart Flute has shut down and Musique Morneaux has taken its place here in the shop... Scrambling to put up a viable website and change the letterhead and moving things about in the workshop... Daunting! Happened a bit more quickly than we had prepared for."

I wish him well.
sfmans
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Re: Sweetheart Flutes

Post by sfmans »

The Sweetheart Flute Company website http://www.sweetheartflute.com/ is still up and taking orders, are we talking about another business here?

Might be worth clarifying which we're talking about here ...
Old Dog

Post by Old Dog »

So far as I know, Joe has taken over Mr. Sweet's business, and he is working on changing the name, etc. Joe has worked for Mr. Sweet for some time, and I would imagine that Mr. Sweet has retired - since he's well along in years. Until all these things are changed, the Sweetheart website will remain the same.

I don't know any of this for sure, it's just speculation on my part. It makes sense, however.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Look at the home page more closely Steve, notification of the change is there.
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

Loren wrote:Look at the home page more closely Steve, notification of the change is there.
Ah,, my mistake, sorry. Carry on
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Very interesting.

One wonders why they didn't continue using the Sweetheart name.

I also wonder why a family member didn't continue the company.

BTW my first flute was a Sweet flute, bought around 1976. It had a very low serial number (can't remember now but it was around 100). Amazing to see Sweet flutes with serial numbers over 2,000.

Shouldn't this be moved to the flute forum? Well he made whistles too, but flutes were always the main thing.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Old Dog

Post by Old Dog »

His son is in business at wdsweetflutes.com.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

pancelticpiper wrote:Shouldn't this be moved to the flute forum?
Here 'tis, in duplicate. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Shouldn't be a complete surprise. Ralph is aging (unlike the rest of us) and has successfully run Sweetheart Flutes for many years. His son, Walt, set up a separate operation some years back focusing mostly on delrin instruments. His web site is noted above. Time marches on....

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Hello C&F! It's been a while since I've been here, but I wanted to clarify what's happening on this, Ralph's 88th birthday! WOOT!!!!!!

Jos Morneault has indeed gone from being the foreman of the shop, chief woodworker and all around neat guy, to being my boss. Another WOOT!!!!!! For the past many years he has been maintaining the high quality of Sweetheart Flute's products, and is now taking the shop forward. Same shop, equipment, materials and skills, and hands making the instruments, but a different signature at the bottom of my paycheck, and a different person taking the risks and financial burdens.

I am proud of the shop I work in, the people I work with, and the long history of Sweetheart Flute as it segues to Musique Morneaux.

With all best wishes to everyone who remembers This Cat,
Amy
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Great to see you around, Amy!! And glad you're still enjoying your work in Enfield.

Cheers, Charlie
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.