Bent Sindt High D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: Bent Sindt High D

Post by Loren »

Thanks for the follow-up, glad you were able to find a good repairman. Mind if I ask what the repair charge was?
ggunner

Post by ggunner »

You'd never know it had been damaged. Roy did a wonderful job.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Yes, I appreciate the follow up. Nice repair!
ebgt

Post by ebgt »

Yes. It's a great job. Only £30 + £5 postage.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Great, thank you, so about $40 USD (at current exchange rates) plus shipping. This is about what I'd expect it to cost here in the U.S. as well. I imagine a new body from John would cost about the same - has anyone purchased a spare body in the last couple few years that could get us in the ball park, just for comparison?

Hopefully this info will be helpful to others in the future who may be in a similar situation.
trill

Post by trill »

Wow !

I am totally impressed with the quality of the repair !

Did the the technician describe how he did it ? As a former apprentice machinist, I'm quite curious.

Congratulations on finding a good path/process !

trill
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Just search youtube for brass musical instrument repair videos, trumpet, trombone, sax... there are ton of videos showing how it's done.
ebgt

Post by ebgt »

He said he just happened to have a mandrel (think that's the word) which was exactly the size. So, I guess he used that to gradually push it back into the original form. He said he used a flat, marble surface to gauge the straightness of it. He also said he had to burnish it. Which I think is hammering it whilst on the rod (with a leather mallet) to get it exactly straight.

However, this is only what he described. I didn't witness it.

What I can tell you is that the bend has totally gone - the holes are perfectly circular and it's almost impossible to tell there was and damage.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

ebgt wrote:He said he just happened to have a mandrel (think that's the word) which was exactly the size. So, I guess he used that to gradually push it back into the original form.
Yep, and yep.
ebgt wrote:He also said he had to burnish it. Which I think is hammering it whilst on the rod (with a leather mallet) to get it exactly straight.
"Burnishing" is a term for polishing and/or getting rid of rough or uneven areas by friction and pressure; when burnishing metals by hand, it's usually done by rubbing with a smooth metal rod. Here's a burnishing rod:

You can also burnish with a wheel, but that's more just polishing, so considering the damaged whistle would have crimps to work out, my first guess is that he did it with a rod while the whistle was still on the mandrel.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
johnnytheshamrock

Post by johnnytheshamrock »

Just found this interesting.

The removing of a dent in a brass tube can be successfully removed by passing increasingly larger spherical steel balls down through the tube.The last ball passing through the tube could be a G3 ball which has an accuracy within 3/1000000 of an inch of its nominal size. That is not a misprint,three one millionths of an inch.I think "roundness" of the tube to within that tolerance would be satisfactory.

No,I don't know HOW to do it.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

johnnytheshamrock wrote:Just found this interesting.

The removing of a dent in a brass tube can be successfully removed by passing increasingly larger spherical steel balls down through the tube.The last ball passing through the tube could be a G3 ball which has an accuracy within 3/1000000 of an inch of its nominal size. That is not a misprint,three one millionths of an inch.I think "roundness" of the tube to within that tolerance would be satisfactory.

I'm sorry but I don't understand any of that. I suspect there's meaning in there, but I can't work it out from the language used.
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

benhall.1 wrote:

I'm sorry but I don't understand any of that. I suspect there's meaning in there, but I can't work it out from the language used.
It took me awhile, but I understand it now. It applies to dents, not to something more serious like the bend in the OP. Say you've got a 2 mm dent in a 12 mm brass tube. Take a steel ball about 10 mm in diameter and shove it down the tube past the dent. Then take, say, a 10.1 mm ball and do the same, then 10.2 mm 10.3 mm, etc. Each ball pushes the dent a little farther back into place. When you get up to 12 mm (to the desired degree of accuracy), your tube is round again. Takes a lot of balls to do a repair like that.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Tunborough wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:

It took me awhile, but I understand it now. It applies to dents, not to something more serious like the bend in the OP. Say you've got a 2 mm dent in a 12 mm brass tube. Take a steel ball about 10 mm in diameter and shove it down the tube past the dent. Then take, say, a 10.1 mm ball and do the same, then 10.2 mm 10.3 mm, etc. Each ball pushes the dent a little farther back into place. When you get up to 12 mm (to the desired degree of accuracy), your tube is round again. Takes a lot of balls to do a repair like that.
Thanks Tunborough! I understand that now. :)
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

It's great that you found a good repairperson who did a wonderful job.

I'm a bit spoiled, because a friend of mine is a repairperson who really knows what she's doing. She's seen it all. She's been fixing various things of mine over the years. She welcomes the change to her routine of Boehm flutes, trumpets, and so forth.

Trombone slides are very tricky and require great skill to get just right, much more tricky than a bent whistle.

Last time I visited her shop she had just completed what she said was quite a challenge: a set of tubular bells had fallen off the back of a truck while it was going down a freeway. She was rightly proud of the job she was able to do on it.

About price, a pack of Guinness usually suffices. :thumbsup:

And as a quid quo pro I keep her Highland pipes set up and maintained- she toots on them every now and then.

BTW The Bend Sindt would make a pretty good tune name.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Tyler DelGregg
Tell us something.: Whistles are fun, whistles are charming, whistles sound nice, whistles are affordable, whistles make us smile, whistles make dogs bark, and whistles upset some neighbors.

Post by Tyler DelGregg »

This reminds me of the time my GHP base drone accidentally broke at the middle joint during the summer of 1977. It was a Hardie, African Blackwood, all nickel ferules. I replaced the broken section from a spare Pakistani pipes I had. It was some kind of lighter brown wood, which made me stand out a little. I figured this kind of thing happened in WWI and other wars to pipes anyway, so I just played merrily along. But I can still see the fractured joint and that sinking feeling one gets when a cherished instrument is damaged.

Glad you got yours fixed.