The best flute case? Light, solid, small, cheap hard case

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
hatao
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The best flute case? Light, solid, small, cheap hard case

Post by hatao »

Hi, I would like to introduce my most favorite flute case that I found after trying many different types of cases.
This case is originally for putting fishing gear, such as lure,sinker and so on,but suitable for putting an Irish flute in it. Keyless / keyed both fits just perfectly.

It's sold at Amazon japan for 7 US$.
http://amzn.asia/4GVnhT8

I put foam for camera case not to let the flute move inside the case.
Partitions can be moved and in other spaces I put cork grease,super glue, wax thread, pins for keys.

This case is very thin and small, so I can always carry the flute in my backpack.

I know it doesn't look good as Grinter's wooden flute case, but I found it most useful.
Very much recommended!!
Japanese Wooden Flute & Whistle player.
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: The best flute case? Light, solid, small, cheap hard cas

Post by bradhurley »

Nice! My only concern with a case like that is whether it is too air-tight, which could lead to high humidity after playing the flute.

An acquaintance of mine from France spent the winter here in my city (Montreal), where it gets very dry in winter. Paradoxically, the flutes he kept in wooden boxes survived the winter fine, while the ones he had in plastic containers developed cracks. I would have thought it would be the other way around, but maybe it was the change in humidity that caused the cracking, as opposed to the ambient humidity level. The humidity in the plastic containers was probably a lot higher than in his apartment, and perhaps the contrast was too great when he took the flutes out to play them and then put them back in.
Gromit

Re: The best flute case? Light, solid, small, cheap hard cas

Post by Gromit »

Good point and a wooden box may absorb some of the humidity in the box given off by the flute. A few small Imm (ish) holes could be drilled in the plastic which may help.