Clarke D or Feadòg?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AuLoS303
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Clarke D or Feadòg?

Post by AuLoS303 »

I'm looking for a beginner's whistle on a very tight budget and I was looking at a Clarke D. But also a Feadòg caught my eye. I'm in the UK and would probably be getting one from Amazon-my partner is getting one for me.
You can play beautiful music on an ugly flute
My musical endeavours on my blog
Tommy

Re: Clarke D or Feadòg?

Post by Tommy »

Feadòg
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

They really are two different kinds of whistle, the Clarke representing the tapered, rolled from sheet metal with wooden plug type vs the plastic head on a cylindrical tube that is the Feadóg (or Generation, Oak etc). It really is, to an extend, a matter of preference.

And you will probably want to try before you buy, to pick a suitable whistle out of a bunch (never take consistency in whistles for granted, regardless of cost, be it custom made or mass produced).
My brain hurts

AuLoS303
Tell us something.: I have a fascination for musical instruments of all kinds, and though I'm not a very good player I have a small collection of acoustic instruments including 5 recorders, 3 tin whistles , 3 guitars and 2 ukuleles.

Post by AuLoS303 »

I'm edging towards a Feadòg. Cheaper and easier to play from what I've seen on youtube. Whistles with a wooden fipple require more breath. My current whistle is the plastic fipple type but its really bad, a toy really
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Cheaper and easier to play from what I've seen on youtube. Whistles with a wooden fipple require more breath.
A well set up Clarke doesn't need to take a lot of air. I have an old Clarke here that I put some time into (aligning the ramp and the windway) and it plays remarkably easy. And I say that as someone who prefers the old cylindrical/plastic head set up. Then again, I bought a Feadóg Pro in their sale last year and received one with a harsh unpleasant octave, not one you'd play unless you have nothing else handy.
My brain hurts

AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

I dont get why a whistle would need to be set up before it could sound good! Especially from a reputable company with history. Oh well...
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I dont get why a whistle would need to be set up before it could sound good! Especially from a reputable company with history. Oh well...
Because they do not turn out uniform instruments. And while expensive whistles aren't necessarily wonders of consistency, cheap whistles are not tested and voiced individually (they wouldn't be cheap if they were). By their very nature, neither the process of making whistles from sheet metal nor the injection moulding process used for the plastic heads will turn out uniform whistles of consistent quality. On average most cheap whistles of certain makes will be serviceable (if perhaps on the mediocre side), in each batch some will be useless, a few will be great. That's why, ideally, you go to a shop, test a bunch and pick the nicest you can find.

The need? Well, look at the market for 'tweaked' whistles to see how some people feel about that.
My brain hurts

ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

The need? Well, look at the market for 'tweaked' whistles to see how some people feel about that.
I'm all for the tweakers too, Freeman, Ó Briain, etc., and here is a website.
http://obriainimproved.wixsite.com/obriaintinwhistles

Improved, indeed!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

and here is a website.

Improved, indeed!
About time he got that going. My O'Briain is a lovely one. Two years ago I found one that was really really lovely but I hadn't the €25 to spare. Last summer I tried perhaps twenty or thirty and found them remarkably consistent, all great but I didn't find anything like that particularly lovely one I had left behind previously. Prices are on the rise though, they were €25-ish for years, went to €30 last year and now €35. Hm.
My brain hurts

ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

and here is a website.

Improved, indeed!
About time he got that going. My O'Briain is a lovely one. Two years ago I found one that was really really lovely but I hadn't the €25 to spare. Last summer I tried perhaps twenty or thirty and found them remarkably consistent, all great but I didn't find anything like that particularly lovely one I had left behind previously. Prices are on the rise though, they were €25-ish for years, went to €30 last year and now €35. Hm.
I have a D and Eb that I purchased when I first started whistling. Both whistles play extremely well from the beginning and it is my playing now that has improved. Yes, the price has increased a bit, but, the website maintenance must cost something.
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

Well a Feadòg is on its way!
AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
Because they do not turn out uniform instruments. And while expensive whistles aren't necessarily wonders of consistency, cheap whistles are not tested and voiced individually (they wouldn't be cheap if they were). By their very nature, neither the process of making whistles from sheet metal nor the injection moulding process used for the plastic heads will turn out uniform whistles of consistent quality. On average most cheap whistles of certain makes will be serviceable (if perhaps on the mediocre side), in each batch some will be useless, a few will be great. That's why, ideally, you go to a shop, test a bunch and pick the nicest you can find.

Ah yes of course, I see it now. Unfortunately our music shop is a little shy of whistles. You get might one or two but not much to choose from. Plus I didnt think you could try out wind instruments in a shop due to hygiene reasons. Hmmm
Last edited by AuLoS303 on Wed May 03, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

the website maintenance must cost something.

This site was created usingWIX.com. Create your own for FREE >>

[edited misquote]
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Wed May 03, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

AuLoS303

Post by AuLoS303 »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
and here is a website.

Improved, indeed!
This site was created usingWIX.com. Create your own for FREE >>
Yea I have a Wix site for my photography
mickey66
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

Feadóg vs Clarke D? I have both and as was posted above they are two completely different whistles. I have a Clarke Sweetone key D and I like it very much(really cheap black whistle w/plastic head) and a Feadóg Pro Key D w/plastic head. I like this whistle too! Both can be dunked in hot water to loosen the head for removal(make tune-able,very easy)The Clarke Sweetone has a chirpy bird-like quality. The Feadóg Pro not as chirpy and second octave is shrill and will cut through anything(Band,walls,glass, concrete, etc.). Between these two whistles ease of play the Clarke Sweetone wins....JMHO. Clarke is also cheaper as a stock whistle..... Very forgiving to play! Downside of this whistle....almost all of them stock will not be in-tune with itself! You must do the hot water trick and make it a tune-able whistle! You will probably encounter the same with the Feadóg whistle(all of them)and the hot water dunking is no big deal at all. In really hot water(15/20 seconds dunk the head holding said whistle(note: don't let whistle rest at the bottom of cup/glass, hold it!) then dry and twist-off head....that's it! Remove any glue put cork grease (buy at any music store)on the tube and presto tune-able whistle! Good Luck! M
Last edited by mickey66 on Wed May 03, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.