Sindts found in local advertising site.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
imatan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Exclusion.

Within their head, a place missing and dead, intensely listening to all unsaid thoughts they bring,
through the window they sing, hissing naughts with lingering eyes, smiles twisted disguise, the throbing Sting, of unsaid goodbyes.

Hot tears quench life force, years drain, greasy in shame, a muddy course rife in contempt, unhinged hypocrisy the currency lent. Ears bending, tempered again and again, hammering perpetual notions of blame.

Slipping down the dank mossy wall, silently screamin, a nightmare fall, not dreaming, absorbing the dark with every pore never to wake, their hearts hollow no spark, just an empathy box licked with blue flame, it's everything they take.

Sindts found in local advertising site.

Post by imatan »

Just looking through Donedeal and saw three sindts advertised for sale €350 each e flat b and a.

I have no idea who is selling them, let alone any affiliation whatsoever.

I own a Sindt, and payed £200 for it and feel i got seen coming. May help someone looking for one but can't wait though.
Adrian W.

Re: Sindts found in local advertising site.

Post by Adrian W. »

350 seems like a lot, but, I've lost track... is John taking orders again or not? They were always in short supply, and with a long wait if you could get on the list. So that factors into the price, i suppose. It comes down to is someone willing to pay it. Sounds like you think you paid too much; I suppose you could sell it and make a bit. I have three Sindts, no complaints; a D I bought from a shop in Vancouver, paid something over 200 CDN for that, and a Bb and an A I bought from John about five years ago, honestly can't remember what I paid for them. I love them and don't feel i overpaid at all.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
imatan
Tell us something.: Exclusion.

Within their head, a place missing and dead, intensely listening to all unsaid thoughts they bring,
through the window they sing, hissing naughts with lingering eyes, smiles twisted disguise, the throbing Sting, of unsaid goodbyes.

Hot tears quench life force, years drain, greasy in shame, a muddy course rife in contempt, unhinged hypocrisy the currency lent. Ears bending, tempered again and again, hammering perpetual notions of blame.

Slipping down the dank mossy wall, silently screamin, a nightmare fall, not dreaming, absorbing the dark with every pore never to wake, their hearts hollow no spark, just an empathy box licked with blue flame, it's everything they take.

Post by imatan »

I haven't a clue about the process involved to buy direct from John Sindt. I bought mine from eBay, and it was sent to me wrapped in flimsy paper with a few fragile stickers on it. How it didn't get snapped in half is beyond me. It left me gobsmacked. Maybe it was damaged before it got sent as there was a ding on the bottom, and the flimsy package was a ploy, who knows. Point is I accepted it and wanted it despite its condition.
Don't get me wrong i love my whistle, it plays flawlessly and is extremely well balanced across 2 octaves, and although expensive is very much worth it.
It's just I myself feel I am contributing to this sellers market where people are turning a profit and subsequently making it very difficult for folk to acquire these whistles.
I'd like to think maybe they are bought in the hope that a Sindt whistle will miraculously make you a great player. The realisation this isn't the case, plus justifying the cost, especially when you could essentially double your money etc, could mean a lot get resold. Obviously in this case, as they were never played this is most likely untrue, hence my aggravation.
I know here in Ireland that every aspiring young musician will feel that owning and indeed playing a Sindt is the done thing. Especially during the fleadh, which would add to their prestige I suppose.
I'm sure these whistles even at the ridiculously expensive price will sell regardless. I just hope they are enjoyed, not shelfed like fine wine.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I know here in Ireland that every aspiring young musician will feel that owning and indeed playing a Sindt is the done thing. Especially during the fleadh, which would add to their prestige I suppose.
That's the problem right there, the pressure to play one at the competitions. The pushy mammies jumping on them for their offspring.

I got several for local players over time, one of the last ones some years ago where a girl I was teaching the pipes went on to the All Ireland on the whistle (as well as concertina and pipes). At county level she was given the comment she'd need a whistle that showed her commitment. Anyhow, I managed to get a Sindt on the forum for around €100 but the seller kept adding cost for P&P, paypal etc so it ended up €115. At the time I thought that was already going into silly money territory. I did get a C some time after that, the husband of a friend was looking for one as an anniversary present, which I ended up getting through a trade for stuff I had, I passed that on at cost: €60 or so. Things went completely silly after that and I have kept away from all that, despite hopes of finding a C for myself at some point.

John Sindt is extremely sound: you order your whistle, wait until it arrives, always a few weeks sooner than promised. Invoice included, on trust you'll send payment. One time I ordered a B, a few weeks later a D arrived . I let John know he got it wrong and he immediately posted the B, the D I passed on to one of the neighbours.
My brain hurts

ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Buying used instruments on eBay or elsewhere is always tricky because you're buying "as is" and "unseen" unless you know the seller personally. The crazy price being paid is due to the hype and the no wait time as opposed to just waiting it out for a new whistle. I have bought used whistles but have always preferred buying new just to keep the makers going.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

I have a Sindt D I'd be very happy to sell for $300 or €300. Or less.