Looking for a Capo for my Mandolin

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
LindWeb
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: My name is Linda, I am from Ireland and 29 yeas old. I stumbled across this forum when I was searching for traditional Irish music and instruments. I just started playing Mandoline myself. So I thought I register here to ask some questions about it.

Looking for a Capo for my Mandolin

Post by LindWeb »

Hi there.

I'm so glad I found this forum and it is great to be here! So over the past few days I was lurking around and finally decided to register. Hopefully I can get some help here.

First off, I just started to play Mandolin myself, so please bear with me for the lack of terminology. I'm pretty enthusiastic about it and I was thinking about getting some new equipment.

I currently own a Dean Tennessee Acoustic-Electric Mandolin and some basic stuff like two beginner books, a strap and a tuner. I'm still missing a proper bag and a capo. A bag is not a big deal, but I'm not sure about the capo. I already did some research online and checked out some websites classified adds, but I simply don't know which one to pick. There are so many for sale.

I know there are the ones used for guitars. So can I get one of those? Or do I need a spacial one for Mandolins. I do need some help here.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Greetings.

Linda.
LindWeb
Tell us something.: My name is Linda, I am from Ireland and 29 yeas old. I stumbled across this forum when I was searching for traditional Irish music and instruments. I just started playing Mandoline myself. So I thought I register here to ask some questions about it.

Re: Looking for a Capo for my Mandolin

Post by LindWeb »

Anybody? Any help? Please!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Not a whole lot of action on this forum, is there. You might want to try Mandolin Cafe for more comprehensive results:

https://www.mandolincafe.com/

As for mando capos, they do exist:

https://www.elderly.com/accessories/cap ... olin-capos

I'd say just get one and see how it goes for you. I've tried guitar capos that were given high recommendation, but didn't like them. I had to find what worked for me through trial and error. Capos can be kind of personal that way.

I suppose you could try using a guitar capo in a pinch, but the fit probably won't be good, and even if it does fit, it'll look awfully goofy, and people might check to see if your socks match, too. Capoing mandolins is something of a rarity in usual practice. You might want to pursue playing in every key without one.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
loess
Tell us something.: Hello! I am finally getting around to registering after reading these forums for about a year. I bought a wonderful Joe Foley cittern from a member here and have been playing it for about 6 months. I have the opportunity to borrow a couple of flutes from a friend and am looking forward to experimenting with it; I've played many instruments over the years but never any flutes. I live in the midwest USA. cheers!

Post by loess »

Linda, I have a Planet Waves NS banjo/mandolin capo and have had success with it on several of my mandolins. Should fit your Dean just fine, I recommend giving it a go.
LindWeb

Post by LindWeb »

Alright. Thanks for the replies. So I will check out the other forums as well.

The things is, I was told one can't really use guitar-capo. The neck is different. Anyway, thanks.
Tor

Post by Tor »

LindWeb wrote:The things is, I was told one can't really use guitar-capo. The neck is different. Anyway, thanks.
That would be due to the curvature of the fingerboard. You could use a capo made for classical (nylon string) guitar though - they're flat. But they're also slightly wider than steel string guitar capos, so may look even more unwieldy. That Planet Waves capo loess linked to is probably just what you want.
LindWeb

Post by LindWeb »

LindWeb wrote:Hi there.

I'm so glad I found this forum and it is great to be here! So over the past few days I was lurking around and finally decided to register. Hopefully I can get some help here.

First off, I just started to play Mandolin myself, so please bear with me for the lack of terminology. I'm pretty enthusiastic about it and I was thinking about getting some new equipment.

I currently own a Dean Tennessee Acoustic-Electric Mandolin and some basic stuff like two beginner books, a strap and a tuner. I'm still missing a proper bag and a capo. A bag is not a big deal, but I'm not sure about the capo. I already did some research online and checked out some websites classified adds like http://www.for-sale.co.uk/capo-mandoline but I simply don't know which one to pick. There are so many for sale.

I know there are the ones used for guitars. So can I get one of those? Or do I need a spacial one for Mandolins. I do need some help here.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Greetings.

Linda.
So I finally decided on a Planet Waves Capo. Another brand was Shubb. But they were way to bulky.

Anyway, thanks for all the help and support!
yankees1
Tell us something.: Just bought a Milligan D whistle. I am new to tin whistles and will need help ! I don't understand why each whistle is in a different key and how a D whistle can play a song in G major ! Which whistle will play a song in A major ? Most songs i will play will be in D, G or A

Post by yankees1 »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

mandolincafe.com
Greg Connor
Tell us something.: I'm facinated by the simplicity and the ability of the irish whistle. I use it mainly for accent while recording music.

Post by Greg Connor »

[Yet another thread revival. - Mod]

Hi Linda,

Check out Elderly Instruments, https://www.elderly.com/

They have capos specifically for Mandolin and banjo. There are two basic distinctions: radius and flat fretboard.

Lay a ruler or any straight edge across the fretboard of your mandolin to determine if yours is radius or flat.

Greg
michaelpthompson
Tell us something.: I have played whistles and flutes for many years, but I am looking to get more serious with it. I mostly play Irish traditional music, but I want to expand into native american as well.

Post by michaelpthompson »

I have used a capo made for five-string banjo on my octave mandolin and found it useful. I don't really like to capo my standard mandolin, as it's just so short to start with. I am not that skilled, but I have found I can play most keys without a capo, so it's not as useful as with a banjo or guitar. I just work around it.
Cheers!

Michael
Living the Rainbow Life!
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

This is a banjo and mandolin capo that looks to me like a modern, lightweight version of something I used to have many, many years ago. £20 in the UK. On the company's site, I found it listed at $24.95 in the States.